Castrol 5w40, 2725 mi, 06 S4 4.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit of a 'tired response'...but have you tried Auto-RX? Might be worth a shot - I'd do a couple of treatments, to see if it helps.

Wow that's some serious consumption.

I agree about the super long OCIs with only a filter change since with that much oil, you're completely replenishing the whole sump by only 3,000 miles. No need to change the oil after 7 quarts were added. Lol.

Originally Posted By: gdawga4
This is my first UOA on the S4. A little history...I bought her with 68k miles in June '10 and is currently at 90,xxx. She consumes oil, unfortunately. The service records never indicated the previous owner complained about oil consumption. Consumption ranges from 200 - 500 mi/qt depending on the oil used. TCW-3 in the gas helps minimally. Oils I've used (in order of use):

The BHF 4.2L is known for consuming oil and commonly due to cylinder wall scoring. We took a scope and looked at each cylinder but found no signs of scoring.

I've read this thread before, but it has become more relevant to me this week! I have a 2007 S4 Avant, 6 spd manual, bought new. It is 5 weeks away from the end of the 4 yr warranty...

I keep a log book for fuel consumption and service records, and mark down any oil added. For the first 3 years, the car needed a litre of oil added every 2500 - 4000 km. I wasn't too worried about it, because as noted by gdawga4 the 4.2 V8 is noted for routine oil consumption. In August last year, however, it began using more oil, and since then it's used around a litre per 1200 km . It's not getting worse, but has remained steady at that consumption rate for around 10K km.

With the warranty expiry approaching, I mentioned the consumption at my last service in March, and gave them a printout of my log entries with date and mileage that oil was added (It's always had Syntec 5W40, oil changed at factory specified intervals). They began an oil consumption test, and 1,000 km later I returned for the end of the test - they weighed consumption at 780 grams, so over 0.8 litres, in the 1,000 km... consistent with my recorded oil consumption.

After reporting their findings to Audi Canada, they asked to have the car back for more tests. They ran cold and hot compression and leakdown tests, then inspected with a borescope - sure enough, they saw scoring on #2 and #6 cylinders. I got a call requesting my OK to tear down the engine (requires removal of engine) to get better pictures of the cylinder wall scoring for Audi Canada. The very likely result now is that Audi will direct them to install a new short block - I will find out tomorrow if that is OK'd.

I didn't plan to continue with the Syntec 5W40 once off warranty and dealer oil changes, but now (likely) will need to break in the new engine! I'm planning on trying either GC (I run it in a couple of Miatas) or M1 0W40, but will also start an analysis regime to monitor this new engine...

GC or M1 0w40 would be great for the new motor. I'm starting to lean more towards the M1 for VW 502/505 since the formula was recently tweaked with even better basestocks.

Another idea, is to run 20W-50 oil, with a quart of MMO in a fill. Or, as it consumes oil, top-off with MMO for a few runs.

Inexpensive, and might help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back