castrol 5w20 or mobil 0w20 for next oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys, im coming up on 10000 mi, so im debating between the gtx 5w20 and the mobil 1 0w20. I already have the castrol gtx 5w20 in there with a bosch prem filter, and its holding up very well, but, im wondering if i can do better. Im not in stop and go traffic that often, maybe 15 min of the day, and most of my mileage on the weekends is highway. Only real rough driving i do is usually once a day, i rev my honda civic up to about 6000 rpms in 3rd to 4th usually to get my daily speed satisfaction. Cost isn't really an issue, but im still waiting to see any mobil 1 0w20 quarts around walmart. What oil would be the best for protection and how often should i change it?

I'd go with M1. It seems like a very well built 20wt. Have you considered Amsoil's? I like Amsoil's higher HT/HS of 2.9. Although, if Mobil's 0w-20 spec. sheet is finaly corected and it is 9.0 cSt, then it might be close to a 2.9. My friend was running Amsoil's 5w-20 in his Mustang and never had any problems with consumption or anything. I have it now and will r un it in my car which calls for a 30wt. oil. I'm not a big Castrol fan. There dino seems good, but when you can get M1 as easy, I find it a waste of money.

M1 0w-20 by virtue of it's SuperSyn PAO. I suspect there's really something to this anti-wear additive that sets this oil apart from it's competition.

[ May 11, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

quote:

I suspect there's really something to this anti-wear additive that sets this oil apart from it's competition.

I wish we new more about it. But if your a believer in "it's the addtive package" that matters most, then I'm not so sure. I think the M1 0w-20 will be fine. I want to try it in my car along with Amsoil's. I have 6qts. waiting to go. I might use them in the wife's Focus. I'll run the 0w-20 in my car. There should be no problem using these 20wts in any of todays cars bc clearances from what I've read havn't changed.

the thing that really bugs me is no one seems to carry the m1 0w20 yet around here, and its may already. I need to go back and check walmart out again.

alright guys, i just picked up some mobil 1 0w20 and a bosch premium filter(dealer just had the fram oem, no filtech). What intervals should i run for this oil? mobil told me just to change it once a year or whatever the normal service is for my vehicle.

I would go with the manufactures specified interval or change it 6 months, 5000-6000 miles. I tend to be on the conservative side and believe its better to do the changes earlier.
wink.gif

quote:

alright guys, i just picked up some mobil 1 0w20 and a bosch premium filter(dealer just had the fram oem, no filtech). What intervals should i run for this oil? mobil told me just to change it once a year or whatever the normal service is for my vehicle.

Here's what you should do. Put the 0w-20 in and drive across the country twice and then have the oil sampled. I want to see the results now!!!
grin.gif

If you Honda is under warranty, like mine is, you'd better be careful. It calls for a 5W-20. I know a lot of Ford and Honda owners want to go with Mobil 1, but since they don't have a 5W-20 out yet, we are all scared to death to use something not exactly specified in the owners manual and mess with the warranty issue. Hence, we were pretty much stuck with dino's for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
If you Honda is under warranty, like mine is, you'd better be careful. It calls for a 5W-20. I know a lot of Ford and Honda owners want to go with Mobil 1, but since they don't have a 5W-20 out yet, we are all scared to death to use something not exactly specified in the owners manual and mess with the warranty issue. Hence, we were pretty much stuck with dino's for a while.

0w-20 oils do not violate Honda's or anybody else's 5w-20 requirements. The SAE J300 requirement for the 5w designation is open-ended on the bottom side. That is, there is only an upper limit on the cold temperature viscosity tests for the designations not a lower limit. So a 0w-20 is, in fact, a 5w-20.

A local Honda dealer told me they use bulk 5W-30 in the shop and only use 5w-20 if the customer asks for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:

This issue isn't really the grade, but if the oil meets the Ford and Honda specs. Until the Mobil 1 0w20 came out, the only Xw20 oils that did were 5w20. Since the Mobil 1 0w20 meets Honda specs, you won't have any warranty issues using this oil.

this is a good question because the two oils have different ways of attempting to reduce wear. The Castrol 5w-20 is loaded with moly a.w.additive, up to a healthy level. Mobil1 probably has the better film strength, with a lower amount of moly. I don't see anything wrong with Castrol 5w-20 for 4000 miles, but I think Mobil1 may be the better oil for anything over 5000 miles. If cost isn't and issue I'd recommend Redline 5w-20, I'm using it right now in my 02 Civic and the specs on it look exceptionally good.

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back