Castrol 5w-30, Purolater L3000, Good Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an extensive search here and could not find answers so I am posting new.

2002 Dakota 4.7 with approximately 10,000 miles. I switched to Castrol Synthetic 5w-30. (I know they are the company that started the whole controversy of "what is a Synthetic Oil?"). Also installed a Purolater L3000, a full sized filter instead of the half sized. I added an extra quart for the larger filter size.

Questions:
Castrol Synthetic 5w-30, Group III or IV/V? Good Choice?

How long until the next oil change? Most miles are highway with some in town, I'd guess a 60-40 split.

Purolater L3000. Good Choice? bypass? cardboard?

Just my opinion here:

I really don't see any advantages or very little to the Syntec over a good quality oil like Chevron Supreme 10W-30 or Castrol GTX 10W-30. The Syntec really can't go extended like Mobil 1, or Amsoil in spite of costing the same price.

I like the idea of a bigger filter. I personally don't care for the Purolator because of its very thin metal cannister. I would rather go with Wix or any Champion filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Although I now prefer Syntec over M-1 because I believe it has a better addative package...(PAO aside)...I will only vouch for grades other than 5-30 or 10-30...especially for 'severe' service. This would leave the 5-40 or 5-50 as excellent choices albeit probably not part of your owner's manual recommendation.

Why do you believe Syntec has a better additive package?

Well, nothing scientific but...I've found 1. much lower consumption (same grade) 2. NO engine sounds/noises (same grade) 3. better fuel economy (same grade) 4. even better cleaning properties (completely cleaned the sludge visible from the oil filler cap area). I can't say if it has more esters or what...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Although I now prefer Syntec over M-1 because I believe it has a better addative package

Well to each his own and if you feel it is giving you better performance-go for it. Unfortunately its hard to have a head competition between oils-but M1 10W-30 SS has shown itself over and over to be great stuff. Has generous Moly, and TBN seems to hold up really well. Just have not seen that from Syntech.
smile.gif

I like the Premium Plus oil filter...tried Mobil 1,Bosch Premium,Mopar,Wix and went back to the Purolater's...good all-round value for the money for me...I use Mobil 1 oil though...dollar for dollar it's a better bargin than the Syntec...or alot of other oils for that matter.

Although I now prefer Syntec over M-1 because I believe it has a better addative package...(PAO aside)...I will only vouch for grades other than 5-30 or 10-30...especially for 'severe' service. This would leave the 5-40 or 5-50 as excellent choices albeit probably not part of your owner's manual recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back