Castrol 5w-30 Euro A3/B4 vs 5w-30 US

VAB

Hey guys, getting ready to do my 1st oil change on my 2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost. A lot of people are steering me towards the Castrol 5w-30 Euro A3/B4 on the EcoBoost Forums. I see it has a higher HTHS, lower Noack, is a thicker 30w vs the US version. Is the US version strictly CAFE driven for fuel economy vs the Euro version ? Is the Euro version that much more robust vs the US version ? I've read about the fuel dilution and how these 3.5 EcoBoost engines will shear oil pretty bad depending on driving styles and habits. I'm less concerned about MPG over the better engine protection. What do you guys think ? The Euro version says it's made in Austria on the bottle, US version says made in USA with imported components (scoped them both out at Wally World today).

Try Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. Yes the Euro versions are much more robust and US versions are mostly cafe driven.:eek:,
Is the Mobil 1 ESP better than the Castrol, or any particular reason to choose that over the Castrol ?

You have the 2nd generation 3.5 Ecoboost. They no longer have the single long timing chain. You will be good with any synthetic 5W30 with a KV100 of 11 or above and a HTHS of 3.0 or above. I would change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

You have the 2nd generation 3.5 Ecoboost. They no longer have the single long timing chain. You will be good with any synthetic 5W30 with a KV100 of 11 or above and a HTHS of 3.0 or above. I would change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.
I'm laughing because there's no 5w30 meant for the North American market (ILSAC-GF6, Dexos certified etc.) That meets either of those 2 minimum recommendations...... All Euro 5w30's however easily match or exceed those. So looks like a good 5w30 Euro oil it is.

For some reason Kendall oil has surfaced a lot lately. I find that interesting since it seems it was never discussed in the past. Anybody have some VOA’s or UOA’s
Not much on World Wide Web to be found

Mentioned often in the past decade or 2 here.... Hard to keep tabs on all the mergers acquisitions and spinoffs in the oil business.

Kendalltroparticconocophillipsredlinemmotorcraft....all still related?

Kendall synthetic was always good oil for the money.

I'm laughing because there's no 5w30 meant for the North American market (ILSAC-GF6, Dexos certified etc.) That meets either of those 2 minimum recommendations...... All Euro 5w30's however easily match or exceed those. So looks like a good 5w30 Euro oil it is.
As Trav said, ESP is better option. Generally AMONG Euro oils, that Castrol A3 would be so so. Definitely better than US Castrol 5W30. However, in Wal Mart you have one more excellent oil, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30.
M1 ESP will have lower Noack and it is lower SAPS oil, same like PP Euro. That means less carbon deposits on valves in DI engines.
You will not make mistake with Edge A3, but M1 and PP would be better choices. You have M1 on sale at Napa.

As Trav said, ESP is better option. Generally AMONG Euro oils, that Castrol A3 would be so so. Definitely better than US Castrol 5W30. However, in Wal Mart you have one more excellent oil, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30.
M1 ESP will have lower Noack and it is lower SAPS oil, same like PP Euro. That means less carbon deposits on valves in DI engines.
You will not make mistake with Edge A3, but M1 and PP would be better choices. You have M1 on sale at Napa.
His motor is dual injection so deposits should not be an issue.

Mentioned often in the past decade or 2 here.... Hard to keep tabs on all the mergers acquisitions and spinoffs in the oil business.

Kendalltroparticconocophillipsredlinemmotorcraft....all still related?

Kendall synthetic was always good oil for the money.
Yep, Phillips 66, Kendall Oil and Red Line Oil are all Phillips 66 products. Yes, Motorcraft is still made by Phillips 66. The Red Line Professional Series (OEM) products line are similar to the Phillips 66 Shield Valor and Kendall GT-1 Max lines. However, the Red Line Professional Series 5W30 lists a slightly higher HTHS of 3.2.

Last edited:
I’m confused and surprised to see a mid/ low SAPS suggested above a full SAPS oil.
Probably because, the low SAPS oils with the VW 504.00/507.00 labeling are formulated for emissions systems protection. That’s what the “ESP” signifies in Mobil 1 ESP.

Back