Castrol 40 years of GTX playing cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to meander, so please bear with me.

My son loves the game "Fallout" on the X-Box...truth be told, so do I, but prefer the Elder Scrolls.

There's a card game in there called "Caravan", which is predicated on not being able to buy a full deck at the newsagent in a Post Apocolyptic wasteland, so the players and NPCs have a random assortment of odd cards that they accumulate along the way, and the card game is structured such that it's not a full deck on either side, and you play your deck against the NPC.

Son was frustrated at it, as the rules in the game are hard to follow, so I got a couple of cheap decks, and found out how it goes together...
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/9745/what-are-the-rules-of-caravan

It's a really fun game, especially when your son who doesn't like UNO starts to assimilate being nasty in gamplay into his world....

So I recalled when I bought my house, there was some old stuff in the shed that I kept, and found a raggedy old tyre patch tin that he could fit his cards in.

Completely on theme, and made him happy.

Then I realised that I was given a tin of Castrol "40 years of GTX" playing cards back in the day, and they too came in a tin. So I cracked the tin, opened the cards, and now have my own set.

20161021_180803.jpg

My son's is the actual spread/tin in the background.

I was just stoked that the Castrol cards had a story to tell, starting with Wakefield, so took a (poor) photo.

Anyway, if you've got kids or grandkids, and they are gamers, then learn Caravan.

Then find a skanky old tin to make it authentic.

(and as to the Castrol, cards, my recollection was that they were a gift from a dealer, and I didn't get them the night I had Dinner with Russel Ingall at Castrol's cost)

I would mix different decks together for maximum Wasteland-ish-ness. I think in the game they say "Lucky 38 - 5 of hearts", etc.

FONV is my favorite game ever
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back