Castrol 0w40 without LL-01 in BMW S63

If you're talking about the rear upper shock mounts, the Monroe's are a nice upgrade. Not huge but worth it. I don't know much about rear lower mounts or front strut mounts though.
Yeah, that is what I am talking about. Will see, I might get complete set up with B4. Though I might go M3 bushings on subframe.

No, I do not mean to buy Monroe shocks. I am going with Bilsten B4. However, from what I have read on BMW forums those that used Monroe mounts, it seems that it provides better responsiveness to a car once moved to regular tires from RFT's. As I am going to do some track days once this crisis is gone and my in laws can watch kids, I will need to do some work on suspension. But, as this is my DD, I am not going to crazy.

Yes, the Monroe rear upper shock mount bushings are a good upgrade, but that is the only thing Monroe I would use. I have the M3 subframe bushings in my 1 series, worth every penny. Ridiculous how bad the stock bushings are. On my E90 I just used the inserts, not as stiff as the M3 bushings, and transfer more noise,, but can be installed in 30 mins.

What does the BMW crowd think of bimmerworld's endorsement of Red Line oils?

"
BimmerWorld Oil Recommendations

We've put together some suggestions in the table below based on intended use, an oil change interval of 5,000-6,000 miles, and our own preferences from over 20 years in the BMW tuning and racing world. Our "go-to" oil is unquestionably Red Line synthetic because we have seen its superiority first hand in our customer and race cars. "

"

We've put together some suggestions in the table below based on intended use, an oil change interval of 5,000-6,000 miles, and our own preferences from over 20 years in the BMW tuning and racing world. Our "go-to" oil is unquestionably Red Line synthetic because we have seen its superiority first hand in our customer and race cars. "
Marketing. Redline is good oil, especially if track is taken in consideration.
But, Redline is not approved oil. Approvals are cheap, and question is: why no approval?
One thing is to use oil that is approved for MB229.5. But Redline Performance is not approved for single specification.
I would use it on track, without hesitation.

I have the same engine as OP and use Castrol 0w40, pennzoil euro and Mobil 0w40. All are great oils. I change oil often as these engines generate A LOT of heat.
As for the discussion on suspension I put B4s on my E90, was a nice upgrade. In hindsight I think the b6s might have suited my preferences better.

I have the same engine as OP and use Castrol 0w40, pennzoil euro and Mobil 0w40. All are great oils. I change oil often as these engines generate A LOT of heat.
As for the discussion on suspension I put B4s on my E90, was a nice upgrade. In hindsight I think the b6s might have suited my preferences better.

It certainly does throw a tremendous amount of heat! I almost always open the hood after I get home to help it escape. It heats my garage up quite a bit!

What's your OCI? I'm doing 3.5-5K depending on how long it's been in there, 6 months max. The OEM (//M) filter costs about the same as the Mahle part so I've stuck to that though there's no real difference.

Marketing. Redline is good oil, especially if track is taken in consideration.
But, Redline is not approved oil. Approvals are cheap, and question is: why no approval?
One thing is to use oil that is approved for MB229.5. But Redline Performance is not approved for single specification.
I would use it on track, without hesitation.

Is Redline paying BimmerWorld for sponsorship?

It certainly does throw a tremendous amount of heat! I almost always open the hood after I get home to help it escape. It heats my garage up quite a bit!

What's your OCI? I'm doing 3.5-5K depending on how long it's been in there, 6 months max. The OEM (//M) filter costs about the same as the Mahle part so I've stuck to that though there's no real difference.

I have also opened the hood now and then lol.
I usually change oil at 5000 km ( 3000 miles). Some can think it's over kill but I like the piece of mind particularly with some of the issues these motors run into.

"

I have used Redline drive line oils for over a decade in a number of different cars, but only used their engine oil (5w40) once in our TT. I used D4 ATF in our manual trans equipped E90 (as recommended by Redline) for well over 100K, changed at 50K intervals. Great stuff!! I have MT90 in the TT and 2002 gearboxes with Redline 75w90 in the '02 rear diff. The TT feels as new and the '02 (with over 300k on it) retains a modern car-like shift feel.

Very satisfied with their drive line oils and I try to follow the 'Old School" maintenance plan from Mike Miller. These fluids retain great performance through those intervals.

I have used Redline drive line oils for over a decade in a number of different cars, but only used their engine oil (5w40) once in our TT. I used D4 ATF in our manual trans equipped E90 (as recommended by Redline) for well over 100K, changed at 50K intervals. Great stuff!! I have MT90 in the TT and 2002 gearboxes with Redline 75w90 in the '02 rear diff. The TT feels as new and the '02 (with over 300k on it) retains a modern car-like shift feel.

Very satisfied with their drive line oils and I try to follow the 'Old School" maintenance plan from Mike Miller. These fluids retain great performance through those intervals.
I use their drive line oils in my Toyota, and will use it in my BMW, manual transmission and differentials. While their engine oils are without doubt excellent products performance wise, I am not so sure in daily use considering price tag of cat's on BMW. That is where approvals come handy to remove any doubt.

I had no idea the X3 M40i calls for a 0w20. Red Line 0w20 has a HT/HS of 2.9, but of course, no approvals. I'd like to see a data sheet for the BMW 0w20 oil.

FWIW, the guys at bimmerworld said they noticed much better engine cleanliness with Red Line and engines do last longer.

Last edited:
I had no idea the X3 M40i calls for a 0w20. Red Line 0w20 has a HT/HS of 2.9, but of course, no approvals. I'd like to see a data sheet for the BMW 0w20 oil.

FWIW, the guys at bimmerworld said they noticed much better engine cleanliness with Red Line and engines do last longer.
BimmerWorld and RedLine are in partnership. Maybe BMW asks Bimmerworld to approve oils?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by propellerhead78
Good evening all,

I'm new here but I have posted a couple times and have combed the vast knowledge here since early Covid19.

I am looking for a readily available oil to do the 5K interval change on my 2015 M5 and Castrol 0w40 looks to be a really nice choice with a great price point in the 5qt jug. The 10k intervals will be at the dealer because I want that as part of the vehicle history, so for those, it'll be BMW TPT 5w30. Currently running Motul 6100 5w30 and have two jugs of Motul 5w30 LL01-FE on the bench that I'll use in cooler months. It consumes no oil between changes.

My question is this: is it advisable to use Castrol 0w40 in the S63 without the LL01 approval on the jug? The 1qt bottles locally have LL01 on them, so my guess is those are older stock, but the oil is the same in the 5qt right? With the MBZ 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals, I have a hard time seeing how this would create an issue despite the lack of LL01 approval. Everything I have read about the Castrol is great-PLUS the manual and oil cap say "BMW recommends Castrol". My car was a September '14 build so Shell hadn't yet become their supplier. I could see going to a 3500mi interval with the Castrol since it's available everywhere.

Use with confidence?

Thanks for any advice and responses

Use with confidence or Mobil1 0W40FS.
If you want approved oil Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 available in Advance Auto Parts on sale is choice in same category with Castrol and M1 0W40.

Thanks edyvw for the response, I appreciate it. I'll proceed with using the Castrol for this 5k interval (and enjoy the $23 purchase per jug) and consider the Pennzoil for the next 5k change. From what little I can gather and understand about oil specs, the Pennzoil has a lower NOACK number which is a plus for a direct injected engine (lower carbon deposition in intake tract etc)-is that correct? I suppose if I change the oil every 5k or earlier, it may not matter. This is a forever car so it gets everything it wants.

Snagglefoot-that is interesting. Looks like the Edge 0w40 in Canada retains it's LL-01 approval while we in the US do not. What gives? Must be a marketing shenanigan or legal thing? Hard to believe we have different oils here. Helpful info, thanks!
been my experience, it's the lube tec who decides which oil your BMW receives, in many cases. my dealer put 10w60 in my '10 X5M that calls for a 5W30. got into quite a discussion that i was wrong. had to bring in my owners manual to prove they were incorrect.. i use pennz 5W40 since '14 with over 40k(89k total). excellent oil analysis's results by black stone ; very little oil consumption(no add oil); and lower oil temps(10-15 degrees)use to see over 210 plus. since, never over 200..opinion , tell your service writer what oil you spec./weight etc and have it put in writing on your work order. get my 5W40 via amazon. i use bmw oil filters.

Back