Castrol 0w40, 5000 miles, BMW 328i - Much Improved

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 BMW 328i hard top convertible. N51 3 liter straight 6, non-turbo. Automatic. This second analysis shows dramatic improvement from my first sample using the same oil, Belgian Castrol Edge with Titanium 0w40 A3/B4 European Formula. After my first sample, I found I had a crushed oil filter per the link below;

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rue/bmw-cage-lose-from-filter-cap#Post5029443

Everything else in operating the car has been the same, it's my wife's daily driver and she drives daily in heavy rush hour freeway traffic, many times stop and go. Ten miles each way to work and back then summer drives with the top down on weekends. So this looks to be a good example of the impact of poor filtration on wear rates...

13 328I-191105.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, what filter did you replace it with? My N51 sees about 90 miles a day of commuting with Castrol 0w40 and a MANN filter. And I'm not nice to it.
grin2.gif

I have a Mann in there right now I think. I use both Mann and Napa Gold. It was a Bosch filter that I had incorrectly installed before and was probably not filtering the oil well at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back