Castrol 0w30 - 2,431 Miles - 2003 Olds Silhouette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hich Copper, Iron is high as well. Thoughts? No coolant found...
smirk.gif

Van.gif

Jason

I read here that one of the major gasoline fuel injector additives raises copper alot. If I remember correctly, I thought it was either Regane or Techron.... don't remember which!

Have you used any during this OCI & if so - which one?

Interesting, I purchased this used and changed the oil right away, trans fluid, etc. I also used a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner. I guess I have some searching to do!

For such a low mileage run, what are the driving conditions?

With the fuel and insolubles, I'll assume frequent short trips. Could also be some cleaning from previous lack of oil changes.

Si is high also. Change the air filter.

Any maintenance history?

Medium trips, some short, some long...

No maintanance history, but I do know the oil was changed at least once.

Air filter was not changed, all other filters and fluids changed.

The Techron may have spiked your copper. Not sure thou!

You may want to avoid any injector cleaners in the next crankcase that you will have analyzed.

Techron seems to spike copper OR lead, but not both (or maybe both but i havent seen that yet), but they do go up, significantly if you have high fuel dilution (more than .5)

now i only run Techron on the 2nd to last tank before the oil change, and use acetone+FP60 during the rest of the OCI.

I disagree with Blackstone's conclusion that 1.0% fuel isn't a problem. IMO, that IS the problem. The flash point is depressed due to the high fuel content. Insolubles aren't too high as the oil is fairly 'clean'.

I suggest to look into that fuel issue and resample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back