Castrol 0W-40 vs. Pennzoil 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I understand that both are 0W-40 oils, is one of them "thinner" than the other? Any advantages between the physical properties (not thinking about additive packs). Any plus or minus on the Viscosity Index on either? Does the lower pour point on the Castrol indicate "more" synthetic oil base?

Just trying to understand/learn something...

[Linked Image from iili.io]

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Castrol's PDS indicates the first ingredient as a PAO base oil. With Pennzoils here today, gone tomorrow history, my guess is that Castrol is likely to stick around making it longer than Pennzoil when more and more electric vehicles means less and less old Euro vehicles on the road with it in their crankcase. Plus I like the titanium which as an excellent anti-wear additive when the oil is cold.

I agree with skyactiv here. Both are excellent, but I'd likely go with Edge if I was choosing between the two.

Since SN, I feel Castrol has really stepped up their game. Some of the claims for the EDGE EP are based on the following tests:

*Tested in Seq IIIH test vs. API SN PLUS Limit
***Tested in Seq IVA test vs API SN PLUS Limit
**** Per the Kurt Orbahn test in the 5W-30 vis- grade

I'm a yellow bottle guy, and I have an entire shelf full of Pennzoil 0W40 when WM was erasing it from their inventory at $7/5qts, but if I was talking to someone I enjoyed, I would have absolutely zero qualms about only mentioning the Castrol to them. In fact, I have recommended the Castrol heartily to my stepson for his 2009 Ram Hemi, and my coworker with his 2014 F150 3.5 EB. 0W40s just seem to hit so, so many of the performance targets of reputable companies and are usually packed with the good stuff as well.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
2015_PSD, maybe you know that the TDS shown for the Pennzoil offering is not the SN PLUS edition.
Yes, neither was the Castrol--trying to evenly compare the two.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Castrol edge 0w-40 typical properties havent been update in many years

Why they need to be updated? Are you talking about numbers or composition? Composition is constantly updated. That does not mean they did not achieve same performance with different composition.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Castrol edge 0w-40 typical properties havent been update in many years

Why they need to be updated? Are you talking about numbers or composition? Composition is constantly updated. That does not mean they did not achieve same performance with different composition.

The numbers. Just looked at Castrol US and its seems to be ok. But Castrol in EU have some error with the typical properties vs msds. For example the kinematic viscosity or pour point etcetera dont mach with the numbers in the msds. But the approvals have been updated.

Looks like they did change the hompage at castrol.fi to similar that US have after my last comment. Someting smells here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back