Castrol 0W-30 and #132 brew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, found some German 0W-30. I have been using Mobil1 and #132. Any reason not to continue with the #132( Mola's ratios) with the Castrol oil? Thanks

No need to thicken up the Castrol 0w30 since it's already a nice 12cst at 100c. Mobil 1 is only 10cst, which is why many people want to thicken it up a bit.

that was one of my thoughts when I began using Castrol 0w-30 German, as I thought some moly might be a good idea. ( I wasnt aware that #132 thickens the oil further, but I thought moly would be good). But after seeing my 3000 mile results with the metal wear counts between 0 and .50 ppm's per 1000 miles I'm wondering how much lower can my wear numbers get with moly added ?, probably not very much. But I'd definitely like to see someone give it a try, would be an interesting experiment. I may eventually try it myself but most likely not til next year as my car wont be getting many more oil intervals before it goes to sleep for winter.

Joey

Gentlemen...gentlemen,

One NEVER tinkers with the formulation of the Elixir of Life...unless one is the creator.
nono.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Gentlemen...gentlemen,

One NEVER tinkers with the formulation of the Elixir of Life...unless one is the creator.
nono.gif
grin.gif

The cake analogy comes to mind, I guess if you have a delicious cake, adding more sugar to it doesn't necessarily make it better. psholte may be right on this one.
wink.gif

Joey

Yes, but it is not the 'Elixir of Life'. Just a motor oil that was desinged by frail men.

Regardless,I will leave the drinking of any motor oil elixir to IDRINKMOTOROIL. I prefer a fine wine or just a cheap beer.
grin.gif

Wines aside ( I know, party pooper), I would recommend using the Deutchland Castrol as is unless I saw something in the UOA that needed improvement.

With the high SAE 30 weight viscosity and shear stableness of the German Castrol (to-date), I see no reason to tinker with it.

[ September 01, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Wines aside ( I know, party pooper), I would recommend using the Deutchland Castrol as is unless I saw something in the UOA that needed improvement.

With the high SAE 30 weight viscosity and shear stableness of the German Castrol (to-date), I see no reason to tinker with it.

I agree, so I put my 0w30 in "naked", with no 3oz Auto-rx dose like I usually did, and nothing else. I don't think this oil will need to be doctored up to show some great results.

fillherup,

I believe the correct answer is neither. I think we are going to find that German Castrol is THAT good, but I will not tell you that M1 is bad, even in relative terms. In fact, I would tell you it is close--if not already there--to being THAT good too! Check out the recent UOAs on M1, including 3MPS 16,000 mile test (and this is, in part, I believe on "older" formulations), coolvdubs report and especially Jay's report on 0W20...I believe Mobil is getting the formulation right where it needs to be...bad? NO WAY!

For the guys that have been waiting for this oil to hit a store near them, I can say that in the past couple weeks the supply of this oil has been cranked up big time. I am now finding it at almost every location I look for it, Walmart and Canadian Tire mostly, big city or small town locations the same. I can honestly say the old yellow labeled bottles are now harder to find than the German made red labeled bottles. This stuff is now as ubiquitous as water in my area of the province. They must have sent a big load of the stuff recently and they must be scaling back on the north american made version. So I think that is good news for our friends south of the border, I think you may start seeing it in greater volumes shortly.

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back