Castro GTX 10/30 - How much is the Marketing Hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently saw more Marketing cards at the oil change place for Castrol GTX - how much is this marketing hype compared to the less advertised oils such as Shell and Chevron Supreme ???

Not sure about the hype but I got ten qts for 70 cents per qt, from "Pep boys" after rebate. What hype are you speaking of?

Sorry - should have clarified my post. Card says premiere motor oil on the market. Specially formulated to meet and exceed all OEM specs for North American Vehicles.

Maybe their basing it on sales? I know its popular because of price and promotions, Ive never actually used the GTX oil.

I wonder whats the top selling conventional motor, Mobil 1 claims top synthetic.

Originally Posted By: morepower
I wonder whats the top selling conventional motor, Mobil 1 claims top synthetic.

Without resorting to googling it, my guess would be Pennzoil conventional, followed by Valvoline, with Castrol coming in third. Just my guess.

From what Ive seen at work, ignoring whats in the bulk tank, when people ask for a specific oil, its typically GTX. And when you get to 5W20, the difference is even bigger, 90% of the time its GTX or Motorcraft.

If you don't use GTX, you'll need extra napkins at the drive thru
grin2.gif

Castrol GTX is a good oil. Will it keep sludge from developing in a normal aspirated engine better that any other conventional oil? I doubt it. I think advertising assumes that the general public is kind of not with it. So much is about BRAND recognition. If you take a oil like Brad Penn that is refined in Bradford PA, it would hold it own against Castrol GTX and maybe even be better. Strictly my unscientific thoughts.

I think its pretty good stuff. When i was at AutoZone i found some gallon jugs for 8.99 normally 11.99 so i grabbed 6 jugs. First time using it in both Tacoma and Jetta. The Jetta saw 6 more mpg but that isnt saying much since i was running 5W40 Syntec previously.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: morepower

Without resorting to googling it, my guess would be Pennzoil conventional, followed by Valvoline, with Castrol coming in third. Just my guess.

Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, GTX fourth with a bullet.

Originally Posted By: mehere
Recently saw more Marketing cards at the oil change place for Castrol GTX - how much is this marketing hype compared to the less advertised oils such as Shell and Chevron Supreme ???

Theres really not a dino that comes close to CS cept maybe pyb sn in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back