Castro Edge 0w40 European Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil a group IV oil? I found this today at Canadian Tire. It is made in Belguim. I have a 2006 BMW which requires BMW LL-01 approved which this is. Any thoughts? I've been running Castrol 5w40 in the past and from doing a lot reading, realized it was not a true synthetic.
thanks

Originally Posted By: Kelly99
I've been running Castrol 5w40 in the past and from doing a lot reading, realized it was not a true synthetic.
thanks

This could be a bigger issue for you.

Is the 5w40 LL-01 approved? What kind of oci's have you been doing? You may have deposits that need cleaning.

Yep. 30 bucks a jug is tough to ignore. Stock up while you can,the sale is over on the 30th.
I'm gonna buy 5 or 10 more jugs just to be safe.

yes it is LL-01 approved. oci's at approx. 7500km

Piece of cake for that oil, you're probably under utilizing it IMO, and from looking at the specs I'm fairly certain its not all Grp III although it's still no match for GC. JMO.

Went to CT they had only 3 bottles
frown.gif
in 35km radious none else has it.

Last edited:
Like any good modern oil, it probably has some amount of group IV and V content. How much is unknown, and largely irrelevant.

Kelly99 -

If you look at the product data sheets, you will see a VERY low pour point on 0w40 Castrol. That indicates that it has a fair amount of Group IV (most likely).

You are also correct that Castrol 5w-40 is a weak product compared to the 0w-40 product.

There are some primarily Group III+ oils that are exceptional today, like Mobil 1 0w40.

Therefore, group isn't always important. Nevertheless, Castrol 0w40 is a better product in European cars (meets more Euro specs) than Castrol 5w40, and based on pour point, it probably is more of a traditional synthetic, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
I think it is highly likley to be a Group IV blend. Castrol Edge 0w40 sold here in Australia is a Group IV blend, however it is made in Malaysia.

Is this oil a group IV oil? I found this today at Canadian Tire. It is made in Belguim. I have a 2006 BMW which requires BMW LL-01 approved which this is. Any thoughts? I've been running Castrol 5w40 in the past and from doing a lot reading, realized it was not a true synthetic.
thanks

based on IR specrum Castrol Edge 0W-40 is a PAO oil. http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?a...attach_id=10356
(see wavenumber 720)

Last edited:
thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will give the castrol 0w40 a try on the next change.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back