Casting about for new ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a .357 GP-100 w/4" barrel for home defense. Took my better half for her quarterly familiarization. She is NOT a gun person, and I give her great credit because she does appreciate the need for competence with a gun in the house. I ask her to load and engage a target twice; for a total of 12 rounds. I consider it a successful outing for her to hit 6 anywhere on an NRA standard target at 5 yds. I am still convinced that a revolver is the right choice for a "woken up out of a sound sleep @ 3am" gun for someone who is not accustomed to handling a weapon. During her shooting session, it looked to me like the D/A trigger pull is preventing her from pulling the trigger hard enough to strike the primer properly. She can hit w/single action, but I don't think that would cut it in an emergency.
Would a different gun make that much of a difference, or is there a specific training technique that would provide benefit?

Dry firing practice would help build strength and allow her to get used to the trigger pull without the recoil to think about.

Are you using full power ammo for practice?

On the light strikes, once the trigger is pulled back far enough, the hammer releases. Should be the same amount of force on the primer each time no matter how 'hard' the trigger is pulled. ? Is she not pulling the trigger all the way back?

Originally Posted By: 2cool
D/A trigger pull is preventing her from pulling the trigger hard enough to strike the primer properly.

Not possible.

Maybe she needs something like a Kahr CM-9. It's a semi-auto with a really light DA pull on every pull and you can leave a round in so no need to rack the slide at first.

Or another semi-auto. I'm not a revolver for self defense guy. You bet they are reliable, but the DA pull takes a ton of practice. All IMHO.

I just assumed you were making the cal shot .38. She's shooting 357 Mag? HOOLLLY KERIKE. Not cool.

Is she the least bit apprehensive about shooting 357? I personally think it's a bit much for home self defense because of the muzzle blast and recoil. "perhaps" that's why she's not willing to put full effort into pulling the trigger all the way through DA. Maybe try some 38 special +p and see if it's better for her. There are some stout loads out there in 38 +p that don't have nearly the recoil and muzzle blast but are still affective. IMO, the main concern for using a firearm in self defense is actually being able to use it effectively and put the bullet where it needs to go. Particularly with women and larger rounds, that can be a problem.

A GP100 4 inch isn't exactly a small hand gun; it's pretty much a hand cannon.

20 Gauge Youth Pump with Tactical (Reduced Charge) Buckshot Loads.
Its what my mom uses for home defense. Although she handles her SP101 "Purse Gun" just fine.

With a heavy d/a pull, what makes it a challenge is if you pull slowly sometimes you anticipate the shot/recoil, and also the pull is heavier so if you're not pulling the trigger straight back, then you start swaying/pulling the gun off target. You can try having her try pulling the trigger quicker once she has the target on sight. A gun with a lighter trigger does help though, less anticipation and less force pulling/swaying the aim.

An automatic pistol like the Glock. Very simple operating principle: Pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Also, she would most likely find a 9mm much more to her liking. Less recoil and noise. Her accuracy will improve significantly with a 9 mm.

If you want to look into semi, the way I have mine at home is a glock 19 with 5.5lb pull, chambered/loaded ready to go, and I put it in a holster to guard the trigger so all I have to do is take it out of the holster and it's point and pull just like a revolver. Or you can look at something like the s&w m&p or ruger sr series with a manual safety, and all you have to do is switch the safety off and good to go.

Hi Pablo,
She only shoots .38spl. 125gr. factory reloads. I use them for inexpensive practice myself. I have always, always had her shoot .38's. She did load a .357 the last trip out, just to experience the difference. I cautioned her to keep a firm grip and told her it would recoil harder. It wasn't the recoil that was the problem. Her trigger finger got tired, and I also think the gun is heavy. When I go out of town for work, I load with .38's for her, but when I'm home it's full house Magnums. I still stand by a revolver for a non-gun person. I was a long-time soldier. For me, immediate action is an old habit. For her, it's a testament to her will to go to the range, and I am unwilling to push he to learn a more complicated manual of arms for the present. If the situation remains, we will go to a commercial range and rent some different guns to see if something works better for her. One step at a time.
I will look into some +p loads in .38 that should do the job. Do you feel that 5-10 minutes a week with snap caps would build more muscle memory?

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
An automatic pistol like the Glock. Very simple operating principle: Pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Also, she would most likely find a 9mm much more to her liking. Less recoil and noise. Her accuracy will improve significantly with a 9 mm.

Agree - The my dad is pretty old school revolver type and even he was impressed with the SIMPLICITY of the Glock 9mm.

I personally own a K&N P2000 as well -yet I shoot Much more accurately with the Glock (both 9mm)

If the situation remains, we will go to a commercial range and rent some different guns to see if something works better for her?

Absolutely a great idea.

Do you feel that 5-10 minutes a week with snap caps would build more muscle memory?

It will help if she has a dime sized target on a wall 15 feet or so away and really concentrates on holding the target and pulling the trigger in a smooth motion.

Hi Pablo,
....Do you feel that 5-10 minutes a week with snap caps would build more muscle memory?

Absolutely! This is the best practice.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
20 Gauge Youth Pump with Tactical (Reduced Charge) Buckshot Loads.

+1 Ideal solution.

Definitely stay with a revolver for someone that is not a gun person. Only one place to have ammo and many women have problems actuating the slide on the compact autos due to their heavy springs. GP100 is a large and heavy gun and not female friendly.

Maybe go with a used Smith K frame with 3-4" barrel. Much lighter and shorter length of pull to the trigger. An action job to smooth the process would help.

If she finds the trigger heavy on the GP100, I'd think she'd find the slide hard to work on an auto. Just my opinion. I'd go hit up a range and rent out some, revolver and auto. Heck, make it date night: once a week, for the next 4-8 weeks, go out to the range for some range time. Just an idea.

I held a GP100 once and found it huge. Much prefer the SP101. But I doubt the trigger is any lighter. My LCR has a lighter trigger; personally I shoot 38 +P in my 357LCR and find it very nice. More recoil than the SP101, but just fine for my needs. Wadcutters are "ok" in the 357LCR. I'd rent one, just for fun.

It may not reach your "minimum caliber" but give a thought to the tip up barrels on the Berreta 21A's. Available in 22lr and 25acp. No need to rack the slide, the barrel tips up instead; and IIRC you can shoot the first round DA or you could pull the hammer back and fire all rounds SA. [21A, 950: the two models are probably different in their operation.] Point being, might be another option.

My thanks to my fellow BITOGers. We may not agree, but we are NOT disagreeable. Be well and happy, all!

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Agree - The my dad is pretty old school revolver type and even he was impressed with the SIMPLICITY of the Glock 9mm.

I personally own a K&N P2000 as well -yet I shoot Much more accurately with the Glock (both 9mm)

I think ya mean H&K P2000 not K&N. LOL. Oil on the brain, even when talking about guns. Love this place sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back