Cash for clunkers ope edition

The state is giving credit if you turn in your gas powered yard equipment and replace it with a battery powered one. Does not even have to run.

I had an older McCulloch chain saw that the oiler stopped oiling the chain. I tried to fix it,get parts etc but no luck.

Kinda a bummer as it always started on the first pull even after sitting unused for months on end. My echo has to be worked on every season.

Anyway I decided to trade it in on something I could use. I got 80% off a new Stihl battery powered saw. A smaller one but I figured the wife may like to use it since she can't start my echo and the Mac one was unusable and unrepairable.

My cost with tax was $68. Includes a battery and charger.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_172240852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230422_172240852_HDR.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 54
I threw in the towel today too.

last year I threw out the old lawnboy to the curb.. tired of fighting it. (paid 50$ for it)
Needed a carb bad and a bunch of other misc parts such as primer bulb.. and some rotting lines.
.. but no aftermarket and new lawnboy carb was 180$+ transferring some parts.

had a troy bilt also went to the curb.. the height adjuster was pot metal and broken off.. also had 10 years hard use.
I made it worse trying to get it all apart to replace the height adjuster that goes behind the axle.
it had 1 that did all 4 wheels(at same time) and made out of stamped chinesium. Flat thin gauge that held a square hole onto a tab.
would have been fine if there was one on all 4 wheels.. but one for ALL the wheels too much pressure on it to last.

bought a sams club mower with briggs.. worked for 1 year.. wont start.. likely needs a carb.
IT has the POS no choke no prime system.

re-aggravated my shoulder trying to get the mower running..
not a DR but seems rotator cuff related cant lift arm over head.. and weak the higher you lift it.

Bought a greenworks pro 80v with 2 batteries and 2 blades. I trim for about 15min a week and need it to work..
the new one has 8 year warranty on the batteries 4 year on rest of mower... so doubt I have to do much besides sharpen the blade for next 8 years.

I expect the dewalt string trimmer to die soon since its a poor design with the motor on the head that sucks in grass and gets no cooling.
might upgrade to another greenworks pro.

Those little 2 stroke engines do produce a ton of pollution, it doesn't help that everyone adds way too much oil to the fuel. Always a pain to start, technology marches on.

Tip for extending battery longevity: lithium-ion batteries degrade when charged fully (especially when kept there), and depleted fully. At rest, they should stay around 65% of charge (3.8V or so) for maximum life, so when you put it away for the off-season, keep it slightly above half charge.

They are nothing like a lead acid battery where, ideally, you want to store it at 100% charge.

There is a conflict of interest between manufacturers (if you can call it that, nearly all of it is rebranded stuff from overseas) of "green" battery powered equipment and the pro-environmental groups that are pushing it. Manufacturers want to make money and most make huge amounts of money in battery sales, but make very little mention of how to make the battery last a long time. Environmental groups ignore this important detail.

Hard to beat getting 80% off for turning in old equipment. I've been lucky with all my small engine equipment but I did just spend $50 on new gaskets and seals for my 23yo weed wacker.

I have the Toro 60V mower. I like the fact that it is a conventional Toro steel deck and blade and Toro belt drive. The thing works great. It is so quiet, mowing anytime is possible. The battery lasts for about 1/4 acre.

I do not have the "personal pace" version, but by varying the position of the lever, I can vary the speed, no problem.

Toro-60V-self-propelled-lawn-mower-review.jpg

The state is giving credit if you turn in your gas powered yard equipment and replace it with a battery powered one. Does not even have to run.

I had an older McCulloch chain saw that the oiler stopped oiling the chain. I tried to fix it,get parts etc but no luck.

Kinda a bummer as it always started on the first pull even after sitting unused for months on end. My echo has to be worked on every season.

Anyway I decided to trade it in on something I could use. I got 80% off a new Stihl battery powered saw. A smaller one but I figured the wife may like to use it since she can't start my echo and the Mac one was unusable and unrepairable.

My cost with tax was $68. Includes a battery and charger.
For something that gets occasional use you can't argue with a battery being "always ready". I haven't used my Mcclough MadCat in like 4 years but I'm sure it would start just fine.

Those little 2 stroke engines do produce a ton of pollution, it doesn't help that everyone adds way too much oil to the fuel. Always a pain to start, technology marches on.
IMO, all the 2 stroke OPE in North America probably emits less carbon footprint than what all the talking heads taking their private jets to a climate summit. When they start taking public transit like the rest of us, I'll consider battery powered stuff. Until then they are nothing but hypocrites.

Just my $0.02

Back