Cash for clunkers/guzzlers poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the $30 Billion is "paid back" to the economy by the decreased fuel usage, where's the "savings" from rest of the purchase price?

The government is going to give us a few thousand $$ on the purchase of what's likely a $15K+ vehicle. They aren't paying for all of it though are they?

No, the rest will come out of the purchasers pockets. So are the buyers really going to be ahead? Especially if they're buying a vehicle they really don't need.

Contrary to what we've been hearing lately, I don't think it's all that easy to borrow and spend your way to prosperity...

Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
That's sort of the quandry the gubmint is in now.

I agree, and it's a good reason why government shouldn't get involved in corporations. The money being spent on these companies is being driven by political expediency, not logic.

Logic would also state that we should not subsidize any food or housing for the old/infirm/disabled, because it costs everyone else money. We do it anyway because WE have chosen as a group to do so. And we do it by who we elect as our leaders who enact the necessary legislation. The direction we are heading in is clear--and you and I and everyone better get used to it or try to change it.

Are you equating an old corporate *machine* with elderly human beings?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Originally Posted By: JDD
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
That's sort of the quandry the gubmint is in now.

I agree, and it's a good reason why government shouldn't get involved in corporations. The money being spent on these companies is being driven by political expediency, not logic.

Logic would also state that we should not subsidize any food or housing for the old/infirm/disabled, because it costs everyone else money. We do it anyway because WE have chosen as a group to do so. And we do it by who we elect as our leaders who enact the necessary legislation. The direction we are heading in is clear--and you and I and everyone better get used to it or try to change it.

Are you equating an old corporate *machine* with elderly human beings?

No--other than the concept is the same. Take from one and give to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back