Cash for Clunkers and dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe CFC's is a back-handed way of helping automotive dealerships. Most of the public will not demand more money off of the MSRP if they know they are already getting $3,500 or $4,500.

On top of that, another $2B looks like it is headed out of the taxpayers' pockets to continue this boondoggle.

Last edited:
btw the dealer only gets $50 from the program. thats not including buying the solution and paying a tech to carry out their childhood fantasies of blowing up a perfectly good motor.

It certainly is a form of corporate welfare.

GMH was putting the acid on the former Government that the "design life" of a car is 80,000km, and that pressure should be brought to bear on owners of older cars to retire them....Also they wanted to make doing up older cars more difficult

This is an abomination. Used car dealers get the old shaft, so do poorer people that normally would buy these clunkers and get many more years of use. Who does it benefit? - of course the corporation and the shareholders, laughing all the way to the bank with our money. This does NOTHING for the environment, except make it worse. I hope they burn in [deleted], all of them.

Last edited:
I would demand invoice, CFC money, my GM card earnings, plus their current rebates,and 0% interest for 60 months, then I'll be ready to purchase
grin2.gif

I wonder if the best way to take advantage of the CFC is to initially not tell the dealer you're going to participate, so they don't try to raise the price during negotiations. Then when you're read to sign, you mention it

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
btw the dealer only gets $50 from the program. thats not including buying the solution and paying a tech to carry out their childhood fantasies of blowing up a perfectly good motor.

Well, the tech is getting 1 hour flat-rate to do so - I'd get a nice pile of thermite on the motor and light it off with a magnesium ribbon
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I wonder if the best way to take advantage of the CFC is to initially not tell the dealer you're going to participate, so they don't try to raise the price during negotiations. Then when you're read to sign, you mention it

I suspect everyone walking through the doors this week is trying for a C4C deal. It's like Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) shopping all over again-- something any sane person would want to avoid if there wasn't an overwhelming deal in their favor.

1st words from a salesman would be, do you have a clunker?

The insane loss leaders from a couple years ago aren't happening around here: Accents for $6995-7995, Rangers for $9999. Both would make great trade-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back