Case Drott 40 BEC hydraulics

Well, I bought a late 1970's case drott 40 excavator. Decent shape, needed a little work, not real expensive and will do what I need it to. Going over it and making minor repairs etc. Am changing the hydraulic fluid in it - the old stuff is red - maybe ATF? Got a recommendation for using ISO 46 (20w). Although, I've operated a lot of machines - I don't have a lot of experience with this one and would appreciated any thoughts on what I should use.

There are dyed hydraulic oils about. Especially in certain states. However it being red is probably a great indicator of ATF.

Being it’s age, historically machines of that age range ran AW68 in the summer, 46 in the winter.

Both are in the SAE 20w range. Both would be acceptable for the old girl.

Depending on your budget, you could even go for a high VI product such as P66 Megaflow HVI 46, Mobil DTE 10 Excel 46, Chevron Rando HDZ 46, etc.

Or you could also go with an HVI 68 too.

Or just normal ISO 46 or 68 products because I over think things.

Old drotts are cool. They seem to run forever. Same with the old cat 2xx excavators.

Thank you very much for your expert reply! It has a Detroit 471N which starts and runs amazing. Machine runs slow and loud-(guess it was that way from the get go) OK for me, since my neighbors are far and few and won't be using it as a daily runner. Just need it for property management and farm. Hydraulics work well. Has leveling cab and plumb to the stick which supports a wrist-o-twist that came with it. Just couldn't see letting the old girl get scrapped when she still has some life left in her. Needs a little TLC here and there, but the major components seem to function well. I will check to see what higher performance oils you listed are availabale in my area, but given the age, might just fall back to the ISO 46. Lastly, I live in Western New York, plan on running it not less than 50 degrees F to as hot as it gets here in the summer (90 F). Just wasn't quite sure on how the 46 would work for that. Also not sure on how different oils function with different components such as valves, motor, cylinders etc.

Thank you very much for your expert reply! It has a Detroit 471N which starts and runs amazing. Machine runs slow and loud-(guess it was that way from the get go) OK for me, since my neighbors are far and few and won't be using it as a daily runner. Just need it for property management and farm. Hydraulics work well. Has leveling cab and plumb to the stick which supports a wrist-o-twist that came with it. Just couldn't see letting the old girl get scrapped when she still has some life left in her. Needs a little TLC here and there, but the major components seem to function well. I will check to see what higher performance oils you listed are availabale in my area, but given the age, might just fall back to the ISO 46. Lastly, I live in Western New York, plan on running it not less than 50 degrees F to as hot as it gets here in the summer (90 F). Just wasn't quite sure on how the 46 would work for that. Also not sure on how different oils function with different components such as valves, motor, cylinders etc.

My father and I have mostly antique CAT equipment and some older international. We have a 1956 D4 7U, 61 D6B, 64 D4D, 61 12 grader, 77 931. Also a 48 T6 IH crawler with a 1952 Bucyrus Erie blade package, a 49 TD9 crawler, a 1952 Farmall Super C, 1964 806. All collectors items now.

So I’m very experienced with “older” or antique equipment. As well as being STLE - CLS.

In your usage, with the condition of the machine, you’re doing the right thing. Drain the hydraulic system. Drain the tank. Make sure there is little to no water in the system. Those older fill caps and breathers really liked to bring water in. Especially sitting outside.

I’m not sure who’s pump Case / Drott used at the time. Bickers, Rex Roth, etc. without looking at it. But you can’t go wrong with 46 or 68 imo. If you don’t want to spend the money on an HVI product, especially with a machine that’s going to get 40-50 hours a year on it - for sure, I get it.

Both are in range. 40-90F is a wide temperature span. I’m not sure the GPM of the pump, dwell time, etc. but those machines were made for old Group 1 products. A modern group 2 will handle heat way better and protect the pumps way better. So you really can’t go wrong.

If you need help sourcing products, DM me. I’ll point you towards a local distributor.

Saving antiques is awesome. Even if they’re relegated to farm equipment.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I believe the manufacturer of the pump and filters is Geesen. I changed the hydraulic fluid, however, the filters were stuck pretty good. Tried heat, the whole works - instead of possibly damaging something I think I will wait till next spring to try again. Thinking about replacing the cannister filter to a spin on type. Before filling I put a shut off valve at the drain plug to help facilitate future draining. System seems to be running just fine!

Maybe there is something else you can help me with - the front track idler has no grease fitting, just a plug. I'm thinking this should take gear lube? The manual doesn't indicate any lubrication for this part.

Thank you very much for your help!

Back