Case 310c Crawler hydraulic oil? 10w?

Howdy all, I have an old case crawler, gonna get new hydraulic fluid for it (old looks like chocolate milkshake); looks like local tractor stores have some universal fluid, but looking in the manual I see this, 10w- motor oil? Really? What is the modern thought on fluid for these old machines?

1663556600705.jpg

My thoughts would lead me to an ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic fluid. Chances are the universal fluid would work just avoid the yellow bucket/303 garbage. Look for something meeting Deere J20C if you go the universal route. If this is just a pump, valve and some cylinders a modern hydraulic fluid is fine, you don’t need or benefit from the additives in universal fluid.

SAE 10W is equivalent to ISO/AW 32, so something like this would work fine (just an example)...

1663559975181.jpg

Yeah just runs hydraulic loader and backhoe

The only thing is I am reading that the ISO 32 stuff does not have antiwear additives, presumably since it called for motor oil it would want that? Then again it would be late 50s motor oil.

Looks like the main oils I can find locally are iso 46 or 68 which are both SAE 20

Not sure if this would be better in a new thread, but a local place had this listed as a hy-tran fluid so I got it.

The lack of specs and ratings is a bit of a bother though

@Creekside is this the yellow bucket garbage you warned about?

1663675444165.jpg

Not sure if this would be better in a new thread, but a local place had this listed as a hy-tran fluid so I got it.

The lack of specs and ratings is a bit of a bother though

@Creekside is this the yellow bucket garbage you warned about?

View attachment 117727
Yes that would be it. Notice how it only says "field tested". Who knows what it even is. I personally would use it to lube baler chains or something like that but not in a hydraulic system that I cared the slightest bit about. We are/were paying around $2.50/quart from our local farm co-op for ISO46 hydraulic oil in a 55 gallon drum that carries several different certifications.

Back