CAS #'s and group III's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every group III oil I have looked at has the CAS # 64742-54-7 as the base oil.

The Chevron ,Motorcraft, Conoco
Hydroclear and a couple of other OTC buck a quart oils have this same CAS# as well. So are those three mentioned as group III as it gets without the hype and the price ?

quote:

Originally posted by Pops:
Every group III oil I have looked at has the CAS # 64742-54-7 as the base oil.

The Chevron ,Motorcraft, Conoco
Hydroclear and a couple of other OTC buck a quart oils have this same CAS# as well. So are those three mentioned as group III as it gets without the hype and the price ?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. The CAS# for ANY hydrocracked and isodewaxed base oil will be 64742-54-7. This includes Group II, II+ and III.

What this means is that you can't tell from the MSDS and the CAS # if an oil is Group II or Group III, with one exception. Wax isomerates (like Shell XHVI and ExxonMobil ExxSyn) are Group III and they DO have a different CAS #, 92062-09-4.

[ January 19, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

So if it is advertised as a full synthetic and has that CAS # it would be a group III ?

quote:

So if it is advertised as a full synthetic and has that CAS # it would be a group III ?

Yes, if the bottle says synthetic, but the CAS # is 64742-54-7 or 92062-09-4, then it's a Group III oil. The CAS # for PAO is 68037-01-4.

G Man thank you. You are very knowledgable
cheers.gif

Not including CAS numbers but what Esters would be used in the Hi-Milaege formulated dinos to swell seals and about how much per quart woud be added to the formulation ?

TIA

quote:

Not including CAS numbers but what Esters would be used in the Hi-Milaege formulated dinos to swell seals and about how much per quart woud be added to the formulation ?

That I don't know the answer to. MolaKule would be the one to ask. Hopefully he'll look in on this thread.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back