Cartridge Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smcatub
I always shave in the shower. All the heat and steam seems to soften up the hair. No need for shaving cream; I just use bar soap.

Shaves are close and my skin is smooth, no razor burns or irritation no matter what cheap razors I pick up, and the blades last forever.

+.5 . I shave at my sink after a shower. What I do is buy a cheap bar of soap (Ivory), fill the sink with hot water and let the soap bar float in the water. I shower, get out with a wet face, and use the soggy soap to lather my face. This is better than any shaving cream I have ever used, and I don't beleive there is one I have used and not thrown away.

Also, when it comes to razors, I cannot use ANY 5 blade cartridge as it gives me razor burn. I stick to a 3 blade, even the disposables, and problem solved.

Oh, and technique... not too fast, not too slow. Rinse with hot water after EVERY pull.

Last edited:
Firstly, I don't use a cartridge razor anymore. I use a safety razor with a double edge blade. I recommend everyone should try using one. Blades a super cheap and the razor doesn't clog. And youll only have to buy the metal razor once. I have a badger brush that I use to lather up my porrasso shaving cream (comes in a tube, throw that can away). The brush also helps to lift the hairs up right so you get a closer shave. I know of a good online company called maggardrazors.com. they'll have everything you'll need.

Also if you aren't interested in the safety razor method, and you still want to use a cartridge razor, I suggest using the middle quality razor from the dollarshaveclub.com. it has 5 razors but the back of the blades is completely open so its easy to rinse the hairs out and it doesn't get clogged, this is what my boyfriend uses and it works decently (not as well as my safety razor Lol). Hope this helps. If you want to learn more, you're welcome to send me a pm.

Last edited:
Guys .....try Aveeno shaving gel or trader joes brand with mango and something else. I used to have problems with ingrown hairs and irritation until I started using better gels. Makes a big difference.

I use Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer aftershave and I replace the cartridge when I start to notice stinging when applying the aftershave. If I don't, in 2-3 days I'll start to nick myself so I try not to let it go that far. I currently use Mach 3 cartridges and get 3-4 weeks out of them. Aside from the stinging I mentioned earlier, another cue that the cartridge is nearing its end is when I notice the lubricating strip start to curl at the edges. I shave daily, immediately after showering and usually use Barbasol or a store-brand cream. I keep hearing Michael Savage pushing Creamo on his show, so I may buy a tube when my stockpile of Barbason runs out.

As for cartridges in general, my experience is that Gillettes seem to be the longest-lasting cartridges. Shick cartridges don't seem to last as long and Bic razors are disposable so I try to only use those razors when traveling. The cheapest Bic's don't seem to last long at all, but some of the fancier ones seem to last 10 shaves for me.

I used to use the expensive multi blade razors and they would give me razor burn. I switched to the cheap, two blade disposable razors and after a short 'conditioning' period, I was getting closer shaves with no burn.

I have since joined the Dollar Shave Club, using their two blade cartridge and they by far, shave closer and last longer than the cheap disposable. I am still on the first pack of blades.....five in a pack......have another pack waiting and another to be shipped out on the 24th. May switch to their "less hairy" plan.

I shave with the grain first, then apply a moisturizer lotion......dry skin....then go back over against the grain. Face is smoother than a baby's you know what. Wife loves it!

I recently switched to a Safety Razor from an Electric,
Blades are cheap, Use Musago Cream Tube and Pinaud Bay Rum Aftershave, Best shave ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back