Cartridge Filters - Plastic Ends vs None?

Is there any functional difference between cartridge filters with the plastic type end caps or whatever they are called, and ones that do not have them, like a Toyota OEM cartridge? if not, what purpose do the plastic ends serve?

Attachments

• oilfilters.jpg
    oilfilters.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 72
I've only changed my oil once in my 4Runner since I've owned it, but it didn't have the end caps.
I just purchased a box of Havoline 0w20 and a Fram that won't have the endcaps from WM today for a change soon. I trust these things work. I just drove 900 miles over the past weekend and nothing broke, I didn't burn a drop of oil, etc.

Is there any functional difference between cartridge filters with the plastic type end caps or whatever they are called, and ones that do not have them, like a Toyota OEM cartridge? if not, what purpose do the plastic ends serve?
As long as all the dirty oil goes through the media and not leak past the end caps, then the functionality is the same. There are many ways to seal off the ends of the media pleats, either with end caps, or not.

Last edited:
Either type can be good, or not-so-good---including one endcapless model I've seen that apparently has nothing to prevent oil bypassing between pleats at the ends.

Well-made endcapless ones have several advantages over the plastic endcap type. They allow larger media surface area within the same space, assuming same media thickness. Being less rigid, they don't have to be as near geometrically perfect to seal well at the ends. They're probably less expensive to manufacture in large numbers. They pollute less if incinerated after use.

Either type can be good, or not-so-good---including one endcapless model I've seen that apparently has nothing to prevent oil bypassing between pleats at the ends.
What filter? Maybe they somehow didn't glue the end of the pleats together, QA issue perhaps ?

Well-made endcapless ones have several advantages over the plastic endcap type. They allow larger media surface area within the same space, assuming same media thickness. Being less rigid, they don't have to be as near geometrically perfect to seal well at the ends. They're probably less expensive to manufacture in large numbers. They pollute less if incinerated after use.
Every cartridge filter I've seen that has no end caps has been quite rigid.

As long as all the dirty oil goes through the media and not leak past the end caps, then the functionality is the same. There are many ways to seal off the ends of the media pleats, either with end caps, or not.
Several cartridge filters that use end caps have thick o-ring gaskets on the ends, and these create a seal that practically guarantees the oil doesn't leak past the filter element.

trd.JPG

Several cartridge filters that use end caps have thick o-ring gaskets on the ends, and these create a seal that practically guarantees the oil doesn't leak past the filter element.

View attachment 58300
Sure, but that's not the leak path I'm talking about. I'm talking about the seal at the pleat ends, which the end caps also provide. On filters with no end caps, each individual pleat end needs to be sealed with glue.

Sure, but that's not the leak path I'm talking about. I'm talking about the seal at the pleat ends, which the end caps also provide. On filters with no end caps, each individual pleat end needs to be sealed with glue.
I've seen those where the pleats on one end are glued but not the other, so which way does the filter go in that instance? with the glued pleats facing the oil filter cap or toward the inside?

I've seen those where the pleats on one end are glued but not the other, so which way does the filter go in that instance? with the glued pleats facing the oil filter cap or toward the inside?
Certainly, a reason to prefer a symmetrical filter. Or for the manufacturer to put a "This End Up" note on the filter if there's a need for it to face a certain way.

Sounds like a flaw without seeing one. Reason I say that is becaue oil will try to go through the filter to get to the center tube anywhere the oil is touching the outside of the media and end caps.

Yeah, but some (including all I've seen for my car) simply have hard flat plastic ends that, under axial force from a spring, are supposed to seal against rigid flat steel surfaces in the filter cavity and cap. If the ends of a filter aren't perfectly flat and parallel, or if the filter geometry is skewed, guess what happens.

Yeah, but some (including all I've seen for my car) simply have hard flat plastic ends that, under axial force from a spring, are supposed to seal against rigid flat steel surfaces in the filter cavity and cap. If the ends of a filter aren't perfectly flat and parallel, or if the filter geometry is skewed, guess what happens.
To add ... there are quite a few spin-on filters that just have metal-on-metal (with no other sealing material) between the bypass valve and the end cap.

And that's one reason I prefer the TRD filter in my Camry.

Absolutely no issue using Fram Tough Guard and Ultra with the plastic end caps in the TG9972 and XG9972 sizes on a couple 2GR-FE's in our family. That being said, I have also used the 57047 Wix filter for the same application without issue. Doubt there are any issues if purchasing a reputable manufacturer of oil filter. Even the RockAuto Ultra-Power filters appear of good quality with not end caps. Though I do get a better feeling with my filters having end caps. Gives me the warm and fuzzies thinking the media is better supported.

Got an Email from Walmart on Fram XG9972 filters for $8.97, so I bought 4 of them. I was a bit shocked at the Quality of the filters.

I've always poopoo'd Fram filters because of the cardboard endcaps. Always hated Pennzoil oil as well. Now I find myself running Penn Ultra Platinum oil and Fram ultra oil filters.

These latest Fram XG9972 looks better than the Wix XP I had been using.

2020 Tacoma V6

Back