Cartridge filter ? 2009 mazda5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2009 Mazda 5 and it takes a paper cartridge filter. Does one need to be concerned with quality or are most filters the same since it is pleated paper. I bought some filters which I thought were Purolator but turn out to be tvoi which is some Chinese manufacturer. I start considering that since maybe since it is a paper cartridge quality is easier to get on par. Thoughts??

The media quality and performance is all over the place. Best bet it to stay with a well known brand name filter maker. OEM filters will always be a good choice to.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG, and nice car!
thumbsup2.gif

I almost always go with OE for filters. Hard to say how much of a "need" it is, but it's not a heck of a lot of money, you don't have to spend it very frequently, and it's an important part. If quality is in doubt, use something else.

welcome2.gif

The Mazda 5 is an awesome minivan. Too bad they're not more popular in the US.

My first choice is the Mahle OX203D

Other good filters:
Hengst E20H D79
Wix XP 57203XP (Napa Platinum 47203)
Carquest Blue 84203
Carquest Red R84203
Mann HU 711x

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
Wix or mann. Some advance auto carry mann but ebay has ml 1019 (your car) for $8 shipped.

The ML1019 is a reboxed Purolator. For a REAL Mann, get the HU 711x, if you can obtain it.

I have an 08 fusion with 125k now on cartridge filters. Ive yet to have a bad cartridge and ive used everything from mc to fram ocd to purolator classic/p1to mann. I think they make cartridge filters alot better for obvious reasons(everybody sees the actual filter element)
Probably why they cost more too.
My point is use any name brand cartridge filter.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

[/quote]

Thanks we really like it and it has a mtx which is cool for a van. It's like a huge hatchback with sliding doors. I would call it a micro van. Much insight gained. Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: linuxology
Thanks we really like it and it has a mtx which is cool for a van.

Heck yeah!

If I ever have to give up the RX-8 for a family car, I'm going the same route, no question.

Originally Posted By: linuxology
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Thanks we really like it and it has a mtx which is cool for a van. It's like a huge hatchback with sliding doors. I would call it a micro van. Much insight gained. Thanks!!

Wow it's a manual? Even better!!
01.gif

In addition to the list I gave you earlier, the Fram Ultra XG9641 is also worth a look. There is also a wholesale/jobber version of the Ultra called the FPS, part number FPS9641.

But my first choice would still be Mahle
smile.gif

Here is a pic of the cartridge filter( MC 2017B) from my Fusion with 10K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is a pic of the cartridge filter( MC 2017B) from my Fusion with 10K.

nice. Love motorcraft, gret price for a very capable filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back