Car's we'll drive in 2014???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014? I'll probably be driving the same cars I have now. In general, cars are becoming uglier and more expensive. Very few cars possess "soul" anymore. Why throw down $30K of one's money at such devices?

I see the used car market thriving for many years to come.

+1
While I don't really mind the idea of an electric or hybrid car I don't see them making financial sense for me anytime soon... Odds are even anything turbocharged will not be cost effective either.
I know my 03 Tracker will be around but maybe not my 95 Neon... Hopefully I'll have a 2008 mazda6 wagon in 2014, fun and practical!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
2014? I'll probably be driving the same cars I have now. In general, cars are becoming uglier and more expensive. Very few cars possess "soul" anymore. Why throw down $30K of one's money at such devices?

I see the used car market thriving for many years to come.

Agreed. My wife's next car will be used, as I'm sure that there will be plenty out there....

I might get a new Chevy Cruze, but I'm not planning to pay more than 18k for it...these "new" cars are not going to be any easier or cheaper to fix either...

+2
People who write that stuff can afford to buy new cars every couple years. The perks of a PhD.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/994/the-cars-youll-drive-in-2014

Money quote: "Plucinsky says naturally aspirated engines will be relatively nonexistent by 2014"

I remember them saying stuff like that about v8's in the early '80's. Never thought I'd see Toyota 350's darn near 30 years later.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me. Try to find a carbureted car today. Engine technology advances. Seems like forced induction offers an efficiency advantage which is hard to ignore.

Oil technology will have to follow suit. There should be some good stuff in store in the years to come.

I'll be driving the same gas cars I am now, along with most of the rest of America. Whats the average age of cars again 10-12 years old? My 87 is still carbed.

I will still be driving my Santa Fe as it won't even be 10 years old then.
wink.gif

Even if Ford stops making their V8 Rear Drive Cars in 2010 or 2011 or whenever they do their should be enough Grand Marquis,Town Cars and Crown Vics around for years to come as they easily can go to 300K miles if maintained properly..Even though the Crown Vic and Town Car are fleet only now the rental companies still get them and usually unload them after a year with mostly low mileage..Plus you get the extended warrenty when you buy them..So I am all set for awhile.

Unfortunately with the economy still reeling and possibly still in the early stages of some sort of recovery, and folks not having their incomes increase to keep pace with inflation, I'd bet that many will be hanging on to their decade old vehicles maybe until 2019.
28.gif

If people can barely afford the necessities why would they even think of buying big ticket items like cars ?
23.gif

Last edited:
I have my 2001 2.0 SOHC Neon that I have been getting into shape the last couple of years that I plan on keeping until at least 2011. Despite the bad reputation that Neon could never shake this vehicle has been reliable and I actually enjoy it.

I find this a fascinating time in the automotive industry what with all the changes that are taking place... the automotive industry has turned a corner and will never go back.

I am anxious to see the new products over the next few years, read the reviews and read the reliability reports.

Maybe after I have read a few reviews, seen some reliability reports and taken a test drive or two... I might actually own one of these new vehicles. I have no interest in being one of the first to purchase an unproven new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Paul56

I am anxious to see the new products over the next few years, read the reviews and read the reliability reports.

I will not buy any car unless it has been police,taxi and livery tested...I figure if it holds up for them it will hold up for me...So far I have been correct in doing this...In the 80's and 90's the Chevy Impala/Caprice and Crown Vics were main players in the police market and all those cars worked well for me and my family...Since 97 the only other cars added to list were the Charger and the Front Wheel Drive Impala..The Charger failed big time [here in South Florida] with a ton of issues and they stopped ordering them as maintenance with the Chargers went though the roof big time...The Impala is used allot by the supervisiors and that seems to work well..But for the front lines they still use the Crown Victoria so thats what we drive.

I will see what law enforcement uses in the future and let them test it out first... Then I will decide what to get.

The only issue is that police vehicles are usually ordered with the police package option which includes heavy duty suspension, brakes, tires, transmission and cooling systems. As well, the engine may be modified or a larger one than stock.

I don't believe I have ever seen a Toyota Corolla on police duty but they still have a stellar reputation in terms of reliability.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
The only issue is that police vehicles are usually ordered with the police package option which includes heavy duty suspension, brakes, tires, transmission and cooling systems. As well, the engine may be modified or a larger one than stock.

I don't believe I have ever seen a Toyota Corolla on police duty but they still have a stellar reputation in terms of reliability.

Thats true about the police package...But it gives you an idea on how well it well hold up overall in the long run...The Crown Vic uses the same 4.6 in the police package but its tuned differently.

That true 100% true about the Corolla..I am talking more about full size sedans.

The 1999-2002 police Camaro, the Special Service Coupe (B4C) was the same as the Z28 with the only difference (other than minor cosmetics) being the lower control arms. Perhaps that's why it didn't seem to be that popular in police work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back