Cars totalled by fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
There is an interstate that intersects a mountain pass near my home

Is that I64 where it crosses Skyline Drive?

Two favorites of mine:

Back in 79 or so, my Mom drove her 73 Dart into the parking lot of the local BurgerKing (hey, maybe this can transmogrify into an anti BK thread...). When she turned the key off, the car began to "diesel" as many carbureted cars of the day often did. Instead of knocking for a few seconds as it usually did, this time, huge orange flames began erupting from the grille and the seams around the hood. My poor Mom ran into the BK and asked if she could use their phone to call for help (before the whole 911 thing had become universal). The AH BK manager looked at her coldly and said, "lady, there's a pay phone right outside the front door. Having no coins with her, she pleaded again for help -- and got none. Bewildered, she walked out, hoping someone outside might lend her a dime for the call (yes, 1979 was a long time ago). And she watched the Dart burn. The idiot BK guy did nothing until the thick, black smoke started wafting into his restaurant, grossing out all of his eating (and ordering) customers. Car ended up a total loss.

Then there was my Dad's first Saab 99 (roughly the same time frame), and at the dawn of my knowing ANYTHING about cars. He and I had returned to his house, and were smelling gas. Stronger and stronger as we approached home. We opened the hood. With the engine running. And found a nice pin-hole leak in a pressurized fuel line, was delivering a nicely tight, squirt-gun stream of gasoline -- directly upon the hot exhaust manifold!!!!
crazy2.gif
I could see and smell the cloud/column of explosive gasoline vapor. My lucky day -- we got it turned off before the vapor found an ignition source. Car towed to dealer for (expensive) repair.

Engine fires are bad. Most people are totally ignorant about them. . .

You bet.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Challenger71
There is an interstate that intersects a mountain pass near my home

Is that I64 where it crosses Skyline Drive?

I've not driven I64 over Skyline Drive but I have US 211 and US 33...you know a road is steep when your car wants to go 40MPH in 2nd gear downhill with your foot off the accelerator..that's what US33 is like going east off the mountain.

I broke in the new shortblock on my Saab 93 a couple of weeks ago that way. Why did it have a new shortblock? That's a long story which I'll relate when I update a post I made in the oil analysis section...

When I was a kid, my dad had a junker Chevy Celebrity that caught on fire in the driveway.

My mother said it smelled hot, then when my father walked outside to take a look, it was already on fire.

Something about the carb caught on fire, and burned the motor up.

The fire department put it out in our driveway.

GM did have problems with the valve cover gaskets on the 3800s,super charged and non supercharged.They would leak,the oil would get on the exhaust manifolds and catch on fire.GM did put recall on them for that.Operation Repo which is a tv show on True TV,a guy set his suv on fire by opening the driver side door and pouring gas on the seats.He lit it on fire by opening the front driver's side door with a lighter so the repo company would not repo it,was behind payments on it and he did not want it taken away.

Watch before the show Operation Repo is started,has something saying it is not staged and are real repos

No, it says the show portrays real events. I take it to mean that they use real experiences and reenact them.

That kind of deflated my excitement to watch the show, but I'm still entertained by it.

Anyhow, back to topic.

In Minnesota, a couple decades ago, the floor of my buddy's Buick or Pontiac rusted through right over the exhaust pipe. He was in the habit of tossing fast-food wrappers in the back seat, and one day the accumulated paper trash caught fire from the hight exhaust pipe. The seats burned to the metal springs and frame, the dashboard melted, I don't remember the condition of the windows... but he laid some blankets or old sleeping bags over the front seat springs and continued to use the car as a commuter for another 4-6 months.

The car was nicknamed the Bluesmobile, but it didn't have any cop parts, and it was not an especially fast off-road vehicle either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back