Cars built during the Covid pandemic

I’m in the market for a new car right now and I started thinking about cars built in the last two years. Will these cars have reliability issues down the road because of part shortages and manpower shortages at the factories? I know at any job, if you’re short handed, you sometimes take short cuts to get the job done. Just look at Ford with their F-150 and Bronco Sport. They built thousands of them and then they sat for months in parking lots waiting for chips. Some makes are not installing features that were considered standard and now you’re paying more for less product now. Then I will talk about the elephant in the room. The average American worker is entitled and lazy these days. I have seen this at my own company the last two years with the new hires and employees that were hired in the last five years. They have zero work ethic and are constantly calling in sick. You can’t depend on them and I could see this as a huge problem in a large auto production plant. In the future I could see cars from 2020-2022 as years to avoid in the used car market.

giphy.gif

I'm going to be in the market for a new car next year, I want a Bronco (NOT the MEXICAN sport) and I really do not think I will avoid the quality issues from the chip shortage.
I would wait until 2025 to buy a new car, by then, the current models are mature, and the chip shortage is long gone.
Until then, I will maintain what I have, even spend 10k and put in a new CVT and engine if need be.

One quality issue with all these vehicles sitting and not being fully built, is the plastic headlamps will haze up faster. Headlamp clearcoat only last 4 years and it starts to deteriorate.(unless you park in a garage)... these cars are just sitting outside in the sun and weather..

All I heard was:

"Get off my lawn!"

And IMO, it sounds like you work for a lousy company. People will show up for work if there's incentive to do so, like competitive pay, good benefits, and good company culture.

We have 0 issues at the company I work for (large company).

Last edited:
Get an extended warranty if you are concerned, only problem a warranty cant fix is time wasted at the dealership.

I'm going to be in the market for a new car next year, I want a Bronco (NOT the MEXICAN sport) and I really do not think I will avoid the quality issues from the chip shortage.
I think your issues would be more "new model jitters" caused by more by engineering oversight than by manufacturing defects. If it's a bad time to buy a car, it's a worse time to buy a new platform.

Regardless of the VID, it seems a :poop: shoot for just about any modern vehicle these days. You can't have it all rings true IMO. My 17 Outback Limited is a prime example. I recently turned 100k. Solid mechanically, could not ask for anything more in that department. Even the eyesight works, and works well. BUT Subaru had a pricepoint to meet and that meant cutting corners with trim and horrible quality pleather. It may be minor but it does have a negative effect on your experience.

I lust over a new BMW X5. The model I would like is about 85k. And even at that pricepoint, many issues mechanical and tech are all over the boards. Many different manufacturers in various models have similar issues. And we know most often it's the angry folk reporting so that smoke clouds a decision. I'm generally a decisive person and choosing a new car can really test your noodle.

Good luck!

Sounds like you have made the argument that now is a bad time to shop new. But—are you still going to shop new regardless?
I’m having doubts about buying new now since I got my deposit back for the Hyundai Kona N I reserved.

Here we go... Everything today is crap. Everyone today is lazy, stupid, and incompetent.

Back in my heyday, nothing ever broke and everyone was a model citizen. Didn’t even need mechanics or policemen to cause everything ran forever and everyone was honest and forthright. No one ever cut a corner or took a long lunch break. There were no criminals, no con artists, no greedy bankers, no crooked politicians, and every hooker had a heart of gold.

Then I will talk about the elephant in the room. The average American worker is entitled and lazy these days. I have seen this at my own company the last two years with the new hires and employees that were hired in the last five years. They have zero work ethic and are constantly calling in sick. You can’t depend on them and I could see this as a huge problem in a large auto production plant. In the future I could see cars from 2020-2022 as years to avoid in the used car market.
We don’t have that problem, but we also pay well, get awesome bonuses, and have amazing benefits (you get a week of vacation time on your first day, cheap but awesome health insurance, among others). Sure there are always a few bad apples, but that happens.

Here we go... Everything today is crap. Everyone today is lazy, stupid, and incompetent.

Back in my heyday, nothing ever broke and everyone was a model citizen. Didn’t even need mechanics or policemen to cause everything ran forever and everyone was honest and forthright. No one ever cut a corner or took a long lunch break. There were no criminals, no con artists, no greedy bankers, no crooked politicians, and every hooker had a heart of gold.

That's quite the leap based off what has been posted on this thread.

The average American worker is entitled and lazy these days. I have seen this at my own company the last two years with the new hires and employees that were hired in the last five years. They have zero work ethic and are constantly calling in sick. You can’t depend on them and I could see this as a huge problem in a large auto production plant. In the future I could see cars from 2020-2022 as years to avoid in the used car market.
That's quite the leap based off what has been posted on this thread.
One sweeping generalization begets another.

It all started when kids no longer had to walk to school uphill in a blizzard down in Laredo.
Surely the leaders back then should have known the future impact on Hyundai quality 😷

I’m in the market for a new car right now and I started thinking about cars built in the last two years. Will these cars have reliability issues down the road because of part shortages and manpower shortages at the factories? I know at any job, if you’re short handed, you sometimes take short cuts to get the job done. Just look at Ford with their F-150 and Bronco Sport. They built thousands of them and then they sat for months in parking lots waiting for chips. Some makes are not installing features that were considered standard and now you’re paying more for less product now. Then I will talk about the elephant in the room. The average American worker is entitled and lazy these days. I have seen this at my own company the last two years with the new hires and employees that were hired in the last five years. They have zero work ethic and are constantly calling in sick. You can’t depend on them and I could see this as a huge problem in a large auto production plant. In the future I could see cars from 2020-2022 as years to avoid in the used car market.
God forbid people call in sick when they're you know, SICK. Or have been around people with COVID and are supposed to quarantine. Or have sick family members. It's not like there's a PANDEMIC going on or anything, with people SICK AND DYING. Seriously, people like you are the reason employers have a hard time holding onto employees. People aren't lazy, they've finally realized that the company is paying THEM for their time. They aren't doing you a favor for employing you. If one good thing has come out of the pandemic its that workers finally have power again for the first time in half a century. God forbid people don't want to work themselves to death, and want free time to have fun and relax. No no, according to people like you we all need to work 80 hour weeks and live in the office because the only reason to live is work.

Last edited:
Back