CARS Act is now reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

It's official--the CARS Act (H.R.2751) has passed the senate. $3500 to $4500 to buy a new car/truck. Estimated cost $1 bil from 7-1-09 to 11-1-09. Old cars would have to be crushed. To get the max of $4500, your new car would have to get a minimum of 10 MPG more (combined EPA rating) than the old. 4 MPG more would get you the $3500. Other rules apply to SUVs and trucks, and they are less restrictive.

I don't have any comments, just an FYI for bitogers.

but the car has to be in service for over a year (i.e. no reviving life to a semi-use vehicle on your lot), and it is just coming from our collective pocketbook anyway.

Another joke....
37.gif

If you can afford to buy something then buy it, if you can not don't.

Don't people understand that saving 10 mpg over your old vehicle does not make sense to go into debt tens of thousands of $$.

Never mind the "impact" to the environment....
LOL.gif

More of the same.

its a con really, they got some thing similar going over here,

but it puts more pollutants into the air to make a new car , than that older car will produce!!

they say its to get the car companys going, Bull S----

our government, along with the unions, have made sure ..we.. dont have a car company any more

plus if they get rid of all the old cars, then whats going to happen to all the retail outlets/folk who maintain older cars/!!!

thousands more on the UAB, most likely,

total connnnnnnnnnnnnn,

regards Marcus

Originally Posted By: JDD
It's official--the CARS Act (H.R.2751) has passed the senate. $3500 to $4500 to buy a new car/truck. Estimated cost $1 bil from 7-1-09 to 11-1-09. Old cars would have to be crushed. To get the max of $4500, your new car would have to get a minimum of 10 MPG more (combined EPA rating) than the old. 4 MPG more would get you the $3500. Other rules apply to SUVs and trucks, and they are less restrictive.

I don't have any comments, just an FYI for bitogers.

Almost the same idiotic program went into effect in Germany in January. The program will run until the end of this year:

Buy a new car and have your old car, which must have been registered for a certain mount of time, destroyed. The new car must be more fuel efficient than the old one. You get 2,500 Euro. The economy must be stimulated at any cost!

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
The auto plants should have been re-tooled to manufacture something Americans need.

I believe the demand for junk is already sufficiently covered.
LOL.gif

This won't work for me. I can get my 96 sunfire crushed. I think EPA gives it a 32mpg. So I would have to get something probably foreign made to get the credit. Sorry, big 3
LOL.gif

Stupidity must be contagious.

Oz is looking at exactly the same thing (and dollar value too).

It's insane to simply throw away the energy/resources that has already been invested into a car.

BTW, GM(H) was lobbying the govt a few years ago stating that the "design life" of a commondore was 80,000km, and the Govt should look at legislating them off the road, similar to the Japanese system.

Give me back a car from the 80's that doesn't have to meet emission standards (here anyways), that has no O2 and no Catalytic like my old Dodge 2.6 Litre.

Screw all this modern, hard to work on, have to take it to the dealer [censored]!
LOL.gif

If you're driving an old turd of a car that gets 12 mpg you probably can't afford to go out and get yourself a new 30 mpg car. At first I thought this was a great deal, and considered looking into it for myself. But then I realized that my everyday ride (92 Legend) is basically mechanically perfect, drives wonderfully and no car payment. I love my car, no way I could send her to the crusher in the (good) condition that she's in!

Also, being the fiscal conservative that I am, I oppose this blatant waste of govt funds for negligible carbon emissions reductions.

So what happens if one attempts to trade an SUV for a car? Works well or barely works?

Edit: You can trade a 16 MPG SUV in on an 18. Yay.

http://www.reuters.com/article/earth2Tech/idUS216228605420090619

If someone could make a stripper Ranger pickup for $10k that would be a steal if you could trade any van/suv/truck in on that. Or a chevy colorado with GM card points on top of it all.

Coincidentally the article makes fun of people in cars worth less than $4500, insinuating they don't have the means to buy new. I certainly could, perhaps because I have that thrifty quality...

Thinking of friends family and coworkers though I can't think of anyone with the right beater in their fleet at the moment.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
If you're driving an old turd of a car that gets 12 mpg you probably can't afford to go out and get yourself a new 30 mpg car. At first I thought this was a great deal, and considered looking into it for myself. But then I realized that my everyday ride (92 Legend) is basically mechanically perfect, drives wonderfully and no car payment. I love my car, no way I could send her to the crusher in the (good) condition that she's in!

Also, being the fiscal conservative that I am, I oppose this blatant waste of govt funds for negligible carbon emissions reductions.

My Cabriolet which has a very basic fuel system and "No-Computer" averages 8L/100KM which isn't bad. It also puts out 0% CO at idle and 99 on the NOX and virtually no Hydro Carbons.

There is NO EGR either! IMO it's the only thing that Bosch did right. Creating this K-Jetronic fuel distributor with CIS fuel injection.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back