Carquest Premium is Purolator ONE? If so, this is VERY convenient news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member here. I have enjoyed learning a lot from this site, but have never thought of anything I could contribute til know so finally joined. I have searched high and low in southern Ontario for Purolator brand oil filters with no luck. I recently noticed that the Carquest Premium oil filter for my car. I use the longer version of the filter for the GM 3.8 in my Lesabre (Carquest 85036) and it looks just like photos of the Purolator ONE filter. It has the oblong slots instead of round holes above the ADBV. Although the photo on the box shows round holes. The other thing I noticed is that it makes similar efficiency claims that the Purolator ONE does and they even use a photo on the back of the Carquest package that is remarkably like that of the Purolator. Yes, I can order Purolator ONE's via Amazon.ca but they cost around $12 and up. I just got this Carquest Premium for $6.50 plus tax Canadian which I feel is a great price. In the US, the price differential may be inconsequential but up here, the Carquest is literally half the cost. Not sure if this was common knowledge, but thought I would share for anyone with less than idea access to distribution of Purolators.

On RockAuto.com, there are Wix filters sold as "private label". They have the Carquest label. Same part numbers when you shop Carquest.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LowMilesLesabre

I can order Purolator ONE's via Amazon.ca but they cost around $12 and up.

I just got this Carquest Premium for $6.50 plus tax Canadian

What are you really interested in? Price or performance?

I follow the Original Equipment Manufacturer's specified Oil Change Interval. For my car, it is 5,000 miles. I do not have a high performance engine. My car is not operated under heavy load or stressful conditions. I am not performing extended oil change intervals. My needs are minimal. I try to find the lowest prices.

Other people have better cars. High performance engines. They tow or race. They perform extended oil change intervals where they will use the filter for 10,000+ miles. They are willing to spend whatever the cost for an oil filter which meets their needs.

Decide for yourself what it is that you expect from an oil filter, and where your comfortable price point is.

In the US, the price differential may be inconsequential but up here, the Carquest is literally half the cost.

On amazon.com in USA, the ACDelco & Motorcraft versions of your filter are very inexpensive.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
On RockAuto.com, there are Wix filters sold as "private label". They have the Carquest label. Same part numbers when you shop Carquest.

a few years back(2014), I bought some of those "private label" wix filters from rock auto...
the filters i got were branded for "Big A Auto"... they went out of business back in... like '97...
I emailed Wix to ask their opinion...they wanted the date code off the filters, which were old enough they used a different format(turns out it was literally the Julian date, and 2 digit year)... one we got it all ironed out, the said to definitely NOTuse them... they give their filters a 5 yr shelf life... these were about 17yrs old...

luckily, i was only out about $6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre

I emailed Wix to ask their opinion..

... they give their filters a 5 yr shelf life

... these were about 17yrs old...

Thanks for the information. I did not know about a 5 year shelf life.

The other thing I noticed is that it makes similar efficiency claims that the Purolator ONE does and they even use a photo on the back of the Carquest package that is remarkably like that of the Purolator.

What was the quoted efficiency on the box? Welcome to the forums.
grin2.gif

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Good find, never seen anyone go out of there way for a Tear-o-lator but then again I did not post here during their heyday. The pureones were supposed to be better than the normal WCOD, right?

3.8 W-body and filter bargain hunter, nice first post!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Good find, never seen anyone go out of there way for a Tear-o-lator but then again I did not post here during their heyday. The pureones were supposed to be better than the normal WCOD, right?

3.8 W-body and filter bargain hunter, nice first post!

The P1 was the leader of the pack. The P1 was also the high efficiency darling of BITOG.

The Classics were well liked and tears were found but not to the degree of the P1.

I still find it odd that someone would say they do not a high performance car and so just want to buy the cheapest filter possible.when for the price of a gallon of gas difference you can buy a Fram Ultra that will double engine life
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Al
I still find it odd that someone would say they do not a high performance car and so just want to buy the cheapest filter possible.when for the price of a gallon of gas difference you can buy a Fram Ultra that will double engine life
shocked2.gif

Double engine life, eh?

lol.gif

To the OP, welcome to Bitog.

if you stick around and read a lot of the posts here, you'll see that there isn't much love for Purolator filters. They were referred to as terolators because of all the tears found in a good percentage of the filters.

They have come out with their new line, but many of us OCD types have moved onto better filters. Most of the love is for Fram Ultras.

In Canada the best place to buy them, if you aren't cross border shopping is from Rockauto.com. You need to buy multiple filters 4-6 since shipping will be between $8-12 (approx). Also use the 5 pct rockauto code to save a little bit more.

It has been known for quite a while that Carquest filters are Purolator made. The CQ Red is the same as Purolator Classic, the CQ Blue is the same as the Pure One.
Prior to 2017, they were made by Frampion (when Champ and Fram were co-mingling), and prior to 2015-16, they were made by Wix.

I have a few Wix made CQ Blue left, but will not buy any Purolator made filter.

Originally Posted by blupupher
It has been known for quite a while that Carquest filters are Purolator made. The CQ Red is the same as Purolator Classic, the CQ Blue is the same as the Pure One.
Prior to 2017, they were made by Frampion (when Champ and Fram were co-mingling), and prior to 2015-16, they were made by Wix.

I have a few Wix made CQ Blue left, but will not buy any Purolator made filter

+1

Before I embrace the new Purolators, I want to see about 100 positive anecdotes on the part number I would be using. Which is not likely to happen. Then I would be more enclined to give them another try, while following Ronald Reagan's advice "Trust but Verify".

Originally Posted by WellOiled
The P1 was the leader of the Tear-O-Lator pack. The P1 was also the high efficiency darling of BITOG.

The Classics were well liked and tears were found but not to the degree of the P1.
Wow, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Steer clear, OP!

Your questions are spot on. My car is most definitely not High Performance. I also approach most purchases with the cliche philosophy of "Penny wise-pound foolish". I want reliable construction along with good filtration. I currently use Wix 51036 during the winter and a higher efficiency filter in summer such as Purolator ONE or now this Carquest Premium. I should also mention that my OCI's are approx. 5000-6500 miles.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those images. I was under the same impression you are until I opened the CQ Premium I just bought and saw the Purolator Style openings. The photo on outside of the packaging looks like your CQ filter, but my filter doesn't. Here are some images I took of both the Wix version and the CQ I just bought this week.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back