Carquest Blue (Wix) 84145 , 5163 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Wix made CQ Blue 84145 filter of the 2012 Scion xB with the 2AZ-FE engine.

5163 miles on the oil and filter (~8 months), 44,800 miles on the car.

Looks very similar to the last one I used.

Here is the filter:

Not sure if made June 2, 2014 or February 6, 2014:

Looks good:

All apart:

Media looks just fine with good spacing (it is drying out, will cut it open later):

Magnets caught some stuff again:

Put in some more Quaker State Ultimate Durability and another Wix made CQ Blue:

I keep debating if I should do a 6 month interval or a 5000 mile interval.
I am now thinking I will do a 5000 interval, just easier to remember.
This time I noticed I was about 3/4 qt low, which is weird because @ ~ 4000 miles in this change it as maybe a 1/4 qt low.
Need to keep an eye on it.
Hope it is not starting to have the oil burning issue that the 2AZ-FE has.

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

You may want to try 5w30 for the burning iussue.

But 3/4 qt in 5100 miles is not a problem at all
smile.gif

Personally, I think the Wix CQ's are a bit too old considering that fresh stock is widely available in your size (57145/4386/14477)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Personally, I think the Wix CQ's are a bit too old considering that fresh stock is widely available in your size (57145/4386/14477)
I bought over a dozen CQ Blues for my Powerstroke from Rock Auto on clearance. Most are 2014/2015 manufacture date and are still perfect with silicone ADBV and wire backed synthetic media--saved me a bundle and they are tanks compared to MC filters.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

You may want to try 5w30 for the burning iussue.

But 3/4 qt in 5100 miles is not a problem at all
smile.gif

Yes thank you -- and 5w30 (or even 10w30 in your climate) from what I have been reading will help...but if you prefer to stay with the xw20, just check it every fill up....

It's a shame the Wix CQ blue are no longer available, I still have some from 2013/4 that I'm running with confidence. I wouldn't spend a single dime on a new CQ blue, I'd spend money on an XG instead.

Yea I agree with others try a 5 or 10w30 next time. I run 10w30 High Mileage in my inlaws corolla and it helps a good deal with the usage issues those motors are known for.

Thanks all.

I am sticking with 0w-20. I don't have a big issue with 1 qt every 5000 miles.
I just find it odd it lost about 3/4 qt in 1000 miles. I will keep an eye on it for sure.
I will change the oil before adding another qt.
If I ever get to the point of needing more than a qt every 3000 miles, I may change to a xw-30, but even then, I have plenty of xw-20 that I can just top off with.

Since I have so many different 0w-20 oils in my stash (Mobil 1 EP (1 change), 2 changes of Pennzoil Platinum, 2 changes Valvoline SynPower, and 5 changes of Magnatec), I will see if one of them has better consumption loss.

I do have a few changes of 5w-30 in my stash (Valvoline SynPower and Magnatec) for my moms car that I could use if it comes to that.

I also am not concerned about the filters being so old. They are stored inside my house, so no real humidity issues. I have one more of the CQ Blues, then 2 Bosch D+ before I get to my Fram TG.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks good. I'm a 2 OCI type of person so 5K miles is very little to me to replace oil filter.

I just can't make myself use a filter for 2 intervals.
I know it is fine to do it with a quality filter, but just can't do it.

If I ever buy an Ultra, I may be able to make myself do it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
...find it odd it lost 3/4 quart in 1000 miles...

I have had a couple vehicles that didn't use any oil until a certain point, then started burning. Some sort of chemical change? Dunno.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

I have had a couple vehicles that didn't use any oil until a certain point, then started burning. Some sort of chemical change? Dunno.

Probably due to the oil thinning out due to fuel dilution and shearing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JLTD

Probably due to the oil thinning out due to fuel dilution and shearing.

It was a NA engine and the oil stayed in grade...couldn't explain it!

Who makes the new carquest blue? And is it good for a 5000 oci?

I have 85040 blue on my truck now nearing 3200mi,was under the impression they where made well and much better than the red version

Purolator now makes the Carquest line of filters (Blue and Red).
The Blue version is the "better" filter (when compared to the Red)

Not something I would use with the all the issues with Purolator.

I got these Wix made Blue (and some Frampion and Wix made Reds) from a Rock Auto Clearance a few years ago, I think it was about $2.25/filter.

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
Who makes the new carquest blue? And is it good for a 5000 oci?

I have 85040 blue on my truck now nearing 3200mi,was under the impression they where made well and much better than the red version

Red is Nitrile ADBV and Blue is Silicone in most-all applications. Media is improved for the Blue also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back