Carpet install quote,review & comment plz.

Carpet areas specified, bedrooms, stairs & living room including power stretching. 182 sq yards @ 6.00 a yd, $1,092.00
Remove and dispose of carpet $120.00
Stairs extra charge $90.00

Total cash price 1300.00 including moving any furniture.

Seems about the average going rate for my area. Thoughts?

I think some that measure & quote waste a lot of carpet and you pay by the yards ordered, not by the size of your house. Some carpet comes in 15' widths and can save you money. I ordered a thicker pad than was down before and the doors rubbed against the carpet.

Reactions: JTK
I used to do research in carpet years ago for a major company in the carpet business. Here are my take aways:

1. Use the best pad under the carpet you can afford.
2. Avoid polyester carpet. It is soft to the touch but forms traffic lanes like nobody's business.
3. Buy nylon with an excellent heat set. One name that used to be used for this was "Anything Goes".
4. Buy the highest density nylon you can afford. That means the most weight of nylon fiber per square yard.
5. If you do not have pets or children, I would use loop pile construction, not cut pile. It holds up better in the long run. Have it all through my house going on 11 years and it still looks new.
6. Vacuum frequently and have the carpet cleaned when it needs it.

$6/yd that seems really cheap...no?
Seems very cheap. It was like $6k to redo my parents upstairs and downstairs a few years ago and that was with us moving the furniture and tearing up the old carpet to save money.

Carpet prices and quality vary widely. For $6/yard I’d imagine that is a very low quality carpet.

I think some that measure & quote waste a lot of carpet and you pay by the yards ordered, not by the size of your house. Some carpet comes in 15' widths and can save you money. I ordered a thicker pad than was down before and the doors rubbed against the carpet.

Good points you make..
House already has 8lb so no trimming doors. I'm purchasing carpet from Dalton on my own and having it shipped to a distribution hub for me to pick up. This way, the carpet is cheaper. Rolls will be 15", only two areas will have seems, MBR & TV area in great room. As far as the measurements, I asked for enough left over to re-carpet the stairs if needed in the future.

$6/yd that seems really cheap...no?

Not sure, kinda why Im asking. Im not buying through a carpet store and having "their guy" lay it. Im purchasing material through a place in Dalton and having it shipped for me to pick up at a DC then taking it home. The installer is a local company I have sourced on my own. Just want to make sure its not super cheap that would throw red flags or really expensive and get another few quotes. Personally, it seems on point.

I used to do research in carpet years ago for a major company in the carpet business. Here are my take aways:

1. Use the best pad under the carpet you can afford.
2. Avoid polyester carpet. It is soft to the touch but forms traffic lanes like nobody's business.
3. Buy nylon with an excellent heat set. One name that used to be used for this was "Anything Goes".
4. Buy the highest density nylon you can afford. That means the most weight of nylon fiber per square yard.
5. If you do not have pets or children, I would use loop pile construction, not cut pile. It holds up better in the long run. Have it all through my house going on 11 years and it still looks new.
6. Vacuum frequently and have the carpet cleaned when it needs it.

Great info sir! This is what I will most likely be ordering....
solution dyed bcf loop pile Anso Nylon. the highest density available in this carpet and 15" roll. 8lb 7/16 rebond pad, no pets, one child. $32.50 aq yd.

Not sure, kinda why Im asking. Im not buying through a carpet store and having "their guy" lay it. Im purchasing material through a place in Dalton and having it shipped for me to pick up at a DC then taking it home. The installer is a local company I have sourced on my own. Just want to make sure its not super cheap that would throw red flags or really expensive and get another few quotes. Personally, it seems on point.

I am surprised a carpet store is supplying someone to do the install. Or is this on the side? The carpet is similar to the mattress business. Different names at HomeDepot vs carpet store for exact same carpet making it difficult to compare.

I am surprised a carpet store is supplying someone to do the install. Or is this on the side? The carpet is similar to the mattress business. Different names at HomeDepot vs carpet store for exact same carpet making it difficult to compare.
I went to a carpet store, picked out the carpet and asked which installer would be installing it to check on reviews etc... Called carpet installer for my own install estimate and will be purchasing carpet on my own. Should be an aprox saving of 30-40% this way vs telling the carpet store "I want this one".

Back