Carpenter's level accuracy in temperature extremes

had this discussion at work the other day, talking about whether high temps say 90-100 degrees or cold say 0 or so affects a spirit level /carpenter's level in any way. Only thing i could think of is whether wood or aluminum the temp could possibly distort the wood or aluminum, I think levels are built to take a fair amount of abuse, any thoughts?

As out of square most of the houses I have ever owned or worked on, there must be a serious problem with the temps and accuracies of the levels :rolleyes:

The contractors that VDOT hires to install traffic signals must be using some very inaccurate levels (or more likely, none at all) given how crooked some of the signal heads are. It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder--if they're going to do such a sloppy job where it's obvious, what do they do in places not so easily seen??

As with any tool, it's only as good as the person using it. You also need the right tool for the job, if you're framing an 8' wall with a 4' level you may run into issues.

As a mason I only ever used two brands of levels, Peerless and Crick, both made of wood.

Don't forget to chase the bubble.

Do you know how to check calibration?
It's very simple, and you only need a reasonably level surface. Nothing fancy. Most Granite or Quartz countertops are more that adequate, even for machinists levels.

Starrett has the procedure online, But here's a hint:
Note the piece of tape on the counter.
Level1.jpg

Do you know how to check calibration?
It's very simple, and you only need a reasonably level surface. Nothing fancy. Most Granite or Quartz countertops are more that adequate, even for machinists levels.

Starrett has the procedure online, But here's a hint:
Note the piece of tape on the counter.
View attachment 107812
Checking them doesn’t even have to be that precise. I have a reasonably expensive level from back when I ran conduit that was off just enough to screw up a run if you did keep it the same direction every time. Put the level on something and then spin it 180. If the bubble isn’t in the same place it is off.

Checking them doesn’t even have to be that precise. I have a reasonably expensive level from back when I ran conduit that was off just enough to screw up a run if you did keep it the same direction every time. Put the level on something and then spin it 180. If the bubble isn’t in the same place it is off.
yes sir, I've been doing that for years now, even before i leave the store buying a new one

Back