Careful out there. Anarchy on the roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or cause more accidents. I have personally witnessed 2 accidents where the lead car stopped at a camera-intersection and car #2 (behind) ran into them.
🤷‍♂️ So the lead car stopped properly for the red light and the car behind was following too closely. What's the issue ? I'm not a fan of traffic cameras either...

I'm not a fan of traffic cameras either but I don't like the idea of having to hire traffic cops to do something a camera can do.
What stinks is traffic camera companies overcharging states & municipalities for their services.
Seeing and recording what is done on a public street doesn't rile me.

Also, regarding approaching offending motorists (dangerous), didn't James Bond's car have a feature where he'd push a button and a proper British voice recording would say, "Excuse me, but you just committed a traffic infraction"?
...or am I thinking about the machine guns?

OP video is a run of the mill red light violation, I wouldn't call that anarchy. I spent a couple weeks in Honduras about 20 years ago, did lots of driving, now that was anarchy 😁

We have both speed and red light cameras here in Montgomery County MD, along with school bus cameras. Violations of any give you a fine, but no criminal charge or points on your license. The speed cameras have a 9 mile per hour (I think) buffer which I think is pretty reasonable. As long as the locality hasn't engaged in shenanigans by shortening the yellow, I have zero problems with red light cameras. It's one of the most dangerous things you can do as a driver. The school bus cameras nab you if you pass one while it's stopped with it's light's flashing and little stop sign deployed.

jeff

I do get where WC is coming from. That looked much closer than it needed to be. I too might have mentioned something to the guy. In my case though, I have to be careful around here-as it turns into road rage quite quickly around here. Not sure why folks are so nuts around here…..

Let's put it this way, if everyone follows law and every equipment function as expected we will never have accident. Of course in reality it is impossible. All we can do is be careful, protect yourself, put a dash cam on, and buy enough insurance.

You cannot catch every single crime or violation out there, it is not feasible. You can only discourage them as much as possible. If nobody gets hurt or die police likely won't deal with it, if there is no DUI police likely only ask you to file a claim and let the lawyers deal with each other.

Cannot do that here, literally a 50% chance the person will get out of their car and attempt to maim you.
When my wife and I lived in Charlottesville we witnessed a guy in a Mustang cut off someone driving a Volvo. Volvo driver got out at the next light and walked up to Mustang driver's door.

Mustang driver pulled a pistol on him.

Some people are not wired to play nice.

Well, this happened yesterday afternoon. I guess traffic lights have just lost all meaning.

This is the 4th time in 2021 that I've been sitting at this intersection at the right time to witness a northbound car run the red light. How many times you think it must happen in the course of a day?

Dude's probably driving a nice, newer Lexus because he totaled his last car.

Be safe, and ultra-defensive out there, folks. Your life depends on it.

Skip to 0:45

That's why I bought a car camera.

When my wife and I lived in Charlottesville we witnessed a guy in a Mustang cut off someone driving a Volvo. Volvo driver got out at the next light and walked up to Mustang driver's door.

Some people are not wired to play nice.
I always thought that Charlottesville was a perfect small city...until I got turned around one day and ended up in the projects. Scary.

a guy in a Mustang cut off someone driving a Volvo. Volvo driver got out at the next light and walked up to Mustang driver's door.

Not defending the guy that pulled the gun, but what did Mr Volvo think he would accomplish ?

I definitely agree with you on all of those points and especially 35. Every time I'm in Dallas I particularly enjoy the absolute disaster that is the 30/35E interchange near the convention center and all that mess.
those roads are the one big thing my brother Doesn't miss about living down there...(that and the summer heat)
for 20 years he worked at UTSW Medical Center (Parkland, Zale-Lipshy,etc) right next to Love Field, and Lived out in North Richland Hills (really just a couple miles south of South Lake)
Those roads in Evening Rush is why his 5 speed 98 Mustang GT only has 15k mi on it.
granted most of his commute was on...183, out past the old Texas stadium, and DFW

Or cause more accidents. I have personally witnessed 2 accidents where the lead car stopped at a camera-intersection and car #2 (behind) ran into them.
The car following too close was the cause, not the lead car. A red light means stop.
None of us are fans of nanny states.
Police are overworked and undermanned as it is; they don't have time for traffic control.
Some will joke and tell me, "You are lucky to get us out on a murder..."

We need solution. A hefty fine would definitely get my attention.

he worked at UTSW Medical Center (Parkland, Zale-Lipshy,etc) right next to Love Field, and Lived out in North Richland Hills (really just a couple miles south of South Lake)
That would be a deal breaker. The house, or the job would have to change. Don't know how he did it. 35 / Mockingbird...no thanks.

I always thought that Charlottesville was a perfect small city...until I got turned around one day and ended up in the projects. Scary.
It's a decent city to live in but it's far too expensive for what it is, honestly.
Not defending the guy that pulled the gun, but what did Mr Volvo think he would accomplish ?
Really not sure. Guy in the Mustang was driving like an a-hole but nothing too crazy.

Unfortunately when the light turns green you need to have your head on a swivel looking for idiots running their red light.

Red light running happens frequently and is often deadly. In 2019, 846 people were killed in crashes that involved red light running. In 2019, an estimated 143,000 people were injured in red light running crashes.

An IIHS study found that cameras reduced the fatal red light running crash rate of large cities by 21 percent and the rate of all types of fatal crashes at signalized intersections by 14 percent.

Among drivers involved in 2019 fatal red light running multiple-vehicle crashes, the red light runners were more likely than other drivers to be male, to be younger, and to have prior crashes or alcohol-impaired driving convictions. The red light runners also were more likely to be speeding or alcohol-impaired at the time of the crash and less likely to have a valid driver's license.

Many municipalities are grossly understaffed, they run from call to call and are lucky if they have time for a bathroom break or to wolf down a sandwich. I worked in public safety alongside our PD a lot, its not an abstract theory to say they dont have the resources to go after incidents like what the OP shared. Its not apathy, its lack of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back