Careers advice for Teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the cartoon where the mom is giving the kid heck for playing video games and in the next frame the general is giving praise to the older version of the kid for taking out terrorsits with a satellite guided missile.

If University or a trade is not for your child, I’ve always been impressed with people who own equipment. Tucks, vacuum trucks, front end loader, bobcats etc. Take an operating course, get your trucking license or vehicle certification, learn the ropes, save your money for a down payment, take a loan, buy a piece of equipment and go into business. Taking a sales course would not hurt.

Last edited:
Would rather make money producing something real and of worth than playing financier trade games, producing zippo whilst feeding off blue collar producers and the usurious interest they pay. The young teacher isn't really wrong.

I'll go against the grain and say don't follow the path of something you enjoy...it turns your passion into a job. Nothing like spending all day doing something you enjoy, then come home and spend all your free time doing the same thing...I'd never want to go there. Do something that can enhance your passion, but don't make your passion your job.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I'll go against the grain and say don't follow the path of something you enjoy...it turns your passion into a job. Nothing like spending all day doing something you enjoy, then come home and spend all your free time doing the same thing...I'd never want to go there. Do something that can enhance your passion, but don't make your passion your job.

Hey!, I resemble that, LOL. That is a very excellent comment. At the end of the day, I don't want to spend my time hiking in the woods or pulling weeds in the garden. It's a delicate balance. I still find some enjoyment in hunting,fishing, and gardening, but don't need those things as a release mechanism from the toils of family, job, and life. And, some people look bewildered when I tell them I am fascinated and enjoy an occasional adventure in a large city (opposite of my lifestyle). Go figure. I suppose in a perfect world one would find work that fulfills both the emotional and monetary needs, while providing time and funds to pursue FUN also.

Thank you for that excellent counterpoint to my post.

Well, on a personal level...I'm a mechanic, and my passion is motorcycles. At times I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic, and when I do, I don't come home, go into shed and putter around on motorcycles, I just spent all day doing that. However, working on cars and stuff, I can use that experience to play around with my bikes. My job enhances my passion for motorcycles. That may seem a fine line to some, but it certainly exists in my world. And I don't work on cars at home either...

I've yet to figure out how to push my kids into their careers. I think my daughter knows what she wants to do, and is pursuing it. My son, eh, that one will take a bit more work.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
What is a great career right now may not be in 6 or more years.

That's the problem, the primary curriculum is preparing children for jobs that probably don't exist now, let alone in 10 years time.

Careers advisor was at least "honest" in that Google searches are more up to date than the currency of her training (see point 1)

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Hard to be a teacher when some positions pay less than a full time job at Wall Mart...

My wife is a teacher's aid. This is about the only title with teacher which pays less than many wal-mart positions.

Originally Posted By: supton
Reminded of this vid:

Exactly...so someone else has noticed too. Your passion has nothing to do with what you should earn your living as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back