Careers advice for Teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
...Imagine when this is how it's ALL done...and the AI wants us gone.

Precisely, at some point, does AI see us as parasites? "Do not feed the parasites", Just joking...

Back to advising the teenagers. I'd keep it general: Always be sure to make yourself useful and keep yourself useful.

Last edited:
If you go on to study, not only is your degree choice important, but so is your first serious job after graduation. This point can often be missed.

I know this guy, he was nice, smart, good worker, studied engineering and while a uni student got a part time job in an engineering company that specialized in safety audits or something like that. Great part time job for a student, payed well and looked good on the CV. When he graduated, was offered a pay rise and a full time position, which he accepted because it was easy and he wanted to earn some money to travel. Promotion and another pay rise followed.

Few years later be resigned on good terms to travel, as per the original plan. In another city applied for many "real" engineering jobs, but was always beaten by somebody with more experience in the field. Yet he could walk into a safety job any day of the week. Money low, back to safety audits to pay the bills, even though he wanted to be a real engineer and make things or solve problems. Fast forward 20 years and he has only ever worked in the safety field.

It's not a bad field, but it isn't the field he wanted. With wife and kids his hand was often forced by the need to pay bills.

Another mate at Uni studied Drama, wanted to be an actor. He also studied computing as a safety net. He got a computing job to save some cash while looking for acting work. Many years on, he has never acted professionally and he told me "my safety net became a spider web that entangled me".

I think people should follow their interests with a passion and live the life they want to live.

She like science? Chemical engineer can works with agriculture. My grandfather a chemical eningeer worked on agent orange and other products at Monsanto.

My daughter's working in one of the few true growth industries... fraud! (the prevention of, not the act itself).

She likes to describe herself as 'an international crime fighter'!

My Girlfriend back in 89 told me that I wou;dn't drive my Torana (3 litre 6 vauxhal Viva, triple S.U. cammed, exhausted, loud) with Danger Mouse playing full noise on the stereo through town.

LOL, I had Dr and Lawyer grades in High School, not the right make-up.

I think GPs will be robotised before much longer.

She's interested in entertainming (sings and dances amazingly), and Amazingly I'm OK with that considering the above. She injured herself in netball in 2017, and realised of her own volition that she needs optionality as all the eggs in one entertainment basket is a potential disaster from one injury.

So she's signing up for Chemistry this year, which makes me happy.

I would suggest medicine - there will always be sick people, and a strong demand for MDs. Even if the "robots" replace many of the functions of doctors themselves, that MD degree all her to pursue research in medicine and biology. It opens many exciting, interesting, doors.

My oldest daughter majored in cellular, developmental, and molecular biology in University. Even if she had not chosen medical school, many options were open to her.

I think chemistry is an excellent choice - lots of options, including the MD if she chooses.

I happen to think astrophysics is particularly interesting...but I'll be honest, not a lot of career options in astronomy...you'll either be a researcher or professor trying to pay off a mountain of student loans after your post-doc, or you'll have to find something else interesting to do...

Last edited:
A biology degree is a nice generic thing to get into since that is how the thread is going.

Lots of options after that.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A biology degree is a nice generic thing to get into since that is how the thread is going.

Lots of options after that.

I had doctor and lawyer grades at school. I (vaguely, it has to be said) fancied doctor, parents pushed for lawyer, so we compromised on biology, and I became a deadbeat.

I'd say if, at that age, you aren't sure what you want to do (which doesn't sound like its the case with Shannow's kid) it might be a good idea to procrastinate while you have the time.

One door opened can be most of the other doors closed.

NOTE: It occurs to me that a biology degree is often a "premed" course in the US so it wouldnt close that door. This would not generally be the case, or possible, in the UK, where medicine is not a post-graduate degree.

Last edited:
Ducked...I'm a great advocate of the "gap year"

I took one much to parent's disgust.

I'll be pushing for one for my children too.

Are any "dual credit" courses offered for year 10, 11 and 12 students in Australia?
Just curious......

She will likely change course plans halfway through university, anyway.

Ducked...I'm a great advocate of the "gap year"

I took one much to parent's disgust.

I'll be pushing for one for my children too.

Good-oh

First thing to teach your daughter is to not listen to her teacher and to think independently and not accept as fact a teachers opinion on something like a job or politics.. :eek:)

Public service sector jobs, like the teachers will always be around, no public service sector employees EVER lose their jobs in teh USA, in fact they now make more then the people paying their salaries (taxpayers)

Also anything in the private sector that has to do with human resources, any interaction jobs with the public, public health, ect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
First thing to teach your daughter is to not listen to her teacher and to think independently and not accept as fact a teachers opinion on something like a job or politics.. :eek:)

Public service sector jobs, like the teachers will always be around, no public service sector employees EVER lose their jobs in teh USA, in fact they now make more then the people paying their salaries (taxpayers)

Also anything in the private sector that has to do with human resources, interactions, public health, ect.

+1 … some one way only teachers in universities these days … advice from family/friends always helped me the most …

The best advice I wish I took myself was to shadow different career paths and find out what you enjoy. At the same time, do as best as you can in school to ensure you arent missing any pre requisites to do what she wants

I know a guy who got a BA, worked as a ski instructor, tried a year in engineering but quit, took a year of environmental studies but quit. He then got a B.Ed, and taught drama. That was the extent of his work experience. He’s now the Prime Minister of Canada. Justin Trudeau. Helps if your dad was a Prime Minister. Now you know “ The Rest of the Story “.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The best advice I wish I took myself was to shadow different career paths and find out what you enjoy. At the same time, do as best as you can in school to ensure you arent missing any pre requisites to do what she wants

Find something you like that will pay the bills and not be living in poverty.

Soooo many college ‘educated’ idiots go into very low paying careers fields and then complain about only making $35,000 a year....
smirk.gif

Skilled trades are short-handed. Anything with a science or mathematics will be in demand. The medical field will only get bigger with more retired people who are living longer.

About 5 people here used the words "enjoy" and "like" regarding career advice. I have no regrets following my idealistic teen age ideas of 45 years ago. Its about passion, with a dose of common sense (you have costs of living to meet). Some people go to a job everyday, others go to work every day - there's a difference. At age 62, my career is still rockin', I enjoy going to work almost every day, and I hope to not retire for at least 4 more years.

At least by age 16 I had the mindset that for the amount of time spent in one's career, why not have it be something you truly enjoy. Too many follow money and materialistic ideas and live miserably. It helps that I am a minimalist with very few wants regarding material possessions. Old man rant over.

My youngest son was not only able to follow a passion, but make pretty decent money at it. When he was about 15, I introduced him to Linux, something I had fiddled around with, including building a working UMS-DOS installation. In about 5 minutes, he had learned more than I will ever know about computer stuff, and for some reason took a real interest in networking. Now he's 26, and makes more money than I do. He's published, and speaks at conferences from time to time. His main focus is internet security, another field that's coming on strong. Oh, and he doesn't have a degree. Of course, he's very gifted, much smarter than his parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back