Careers advice for Teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter in in Year 10, and saying this morning that her (quite young) science teacher was telling the class to head into agriculture.

People will always need to eat.

Daughter countered that the robots will be doing all the farming soon...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-02...hnology/9474830

Quote:
Researchers in the United Kingdom have successfully grown the world's first crop of barley using nothing but robot tractors and drones.

The project's aim was to have no operators in the driving seats of the machines or have any agronomists set foot into the 1-hectare paddock.

Researcher Martin Abell said there was a lot of farming already automated, such as GPS steering, but it was rare to grow an entire crop without anyone stepping into the paddock.

Hence the name of the project — Hands Free Hectare.

Imagine when this is how it's ALL done...and the AI wants us gone.

Agricultural seed is a great career. Just saying. I know a couple that both work in the field and make big bucks.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Daughter in in Year 10, and saying this morning that her (quite young) science teacher was telling the class to head into agriculture.

People will always need to eat.

Daughter countered that the robots will be doing all the farming soon...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-02...hnology/9474830

Quote:
Researchers in the United Kingdom have successfully grown the world's first crop of barley using nothing but robot tractors and drones.

The project's aim was to have no operators in the driving seats of the machines or have any agronomists set foot into the 1-hectare paddock.

Researcher Martin Abell said there was a lot of farming already automated, such as GPS steering, but it was rare to grow an entire crop without anyone stepping into the paddock.

Hence the name of the project — Hands Free Hectare.

There are more tech jobs in agribusiness now, lots of $1-2-300k machines that still need to be sold, installed, programmed, maintained, and repaired by people. Sure the days of driving the tractor around in circles for days on end and feeding the herd manually are pretty much done. But all the tech to replace people still needs people to keep it going. Bio engineering will also be huge for decades to come too.

This brings back memories. I had similar thoughts as a teenager, that everyone needs to eat. For the longest time I wanted to be a farmer. I'm glad common sense prevailed by the time I hit college.

"Skynet"
grin2.gif

Its hard to know. You have to pick something that interests you, pays decently and that jobs are available. And then what is the chance of the job being taken over by a robot or AI or moved offshore.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s business computer programming was a good field to get into. Now the business applications are written offshore.

I have been involved on the system side of mainframes since 1978. The latest trend now is to have a mix of support people onshore and offshore. I actually like that model. I am told to push all the [censored] work offshore, so I get to do the interesting stuff. Works for me.

I think what they are telling kids not to get into, will be the thing to be qualified in 10 years down the track. I remember some years ago they complained that too many kids were getting teaching degrees, and there were not enough teaching positions...oh, and now there is a teacher shortage - doh. In 1969 I was told there was no point in being a mechanic, as in 10 years we wouldn't be driving cars. It's a job that has kept me interested and employed for nearly 50 years.

I think Ag is ok, but there will be a bigger division between low tech and high tech employees...same as in every job...and society.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If she takes after her dad, maybe a doctor could be in her future... ?

That's what I'm thinking too. Shannow is probably the smartest guy on this forum,and the way his daughter is thinking WAY ahead of her teacher at such a young age,I'm willing to bet she's of genius level intelligence.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

"Skynet"
grin2.gif

This is perfect, I'm watching T3 on Netflix as we speak.
lol.gif

Sorry to hijack, carry on!

It wasn't all that long ago I was in Year 10. At the time I had aspirations of being a pilot, or a doctor. That changed very quickly in Yr11 when I realised my mathematics and chemistry skills were, uhh, lacking.
Took Economics because I needed to fill a gap in my studies in my final years in High School. It turned out that I found the subject interesting, and I was able to get good grades.

Fast forward to now and I'm studying Business with a Major in Economics and a Minor in Business Law. Its interesting, although the quality of teaching has been both great and [censored] throughout the degree. I don't really know where this study will take me, or where I'd use it. Being towards the end of my undergraduate studies, hearing some of the "industry nonsense" speak has been off-putting. I can't see myself sitting in an Office researching or writing reports.

The take-home of all this is you don't know what you'll do, or where you'll end up when you're in Year 10 of High School. I still haven't got a clue! My studies aren't pointless; graduating with good results will at least look good on a Resume - but then, how many other Business Graduates are the Unis churning out?
My advice would be for your daughter to study what she finds interesting. Ensure she is challenging herself. Part-time employment is a must, both as an 'escape' and as a means of gaining employment experience. Be sure to apply for Universities so that pathway is open pending completion of HS... But I'd certainly suggest taking one or more "Gap-Years." She may need the time to mature, discover what she is interested in and so on.

LOL, I had Dr and Lawyer grades in High School, not the right make-up.

I think GPs will be robotised before much longer.

She's interested in entertainming (sings and dances amazingly), and Amazingly I'm OK with that considering the above. She injured herself in netball in 2017, and realised of her own volition that she needs optionality as all the eggs in one entertainment basket is a potential disaster from one injury.

So she's signing up for Chemistry this year, which makes me happy.

Year 10, sophomore...this bring back a memory. We had a quarter class of "computers". I sat there fuming. Bits...bytes...memory, yadda yadda. What the **** do I need to know this stuff for. I'm NEVER going to work on them or own one! Built my last two and can't imagine the world without one, now. As a career, I couldn't be in IT (never liked school and would hate all the update schooling it requires), but I wish I could have invested in a few IT companies back then.

Shannow, I agree... it's only a matter of time. With things like Roundup poisoning the soil, and "deactivated" seeds that require a chemical "activator" so they will even sprout, and all of the GMO stuff... I'm not an AG guy even though I live in cornfield central, but it sure looks like they are altering the entire plant-based food chain so that at some point the entire globe is at their mercy. Scary times. IMHO these guys belong at the end of a long branch on a strong oak tree.

Those movies may well not be too far off....

I have heard where the IQ of that technology could well be near 10,000 at some point.... If that happens... Then what? And it will be mankind who wants to make weapons out of AI... That is going to happen at some point. Current US Air Force aircraft can do flight manuevers that a human cannot withstand the g forces.... Answer... First step remotely operate plane.. second step get AI to fly the plane. Then say let's get AI to operate an Abram's tank.

I am sorry but there is no bottom to mankind's ability or desire to destroy now another. By any means possible. Artificial Intelligence will become a part of those operations. Then if AI becomes truly self aware.. It could well like the torpedo in the movie Red October. Where the Russian sub commander ended up having his own torpedo hit his own submarine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back