Career change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one done it or know anyone? Even though i cant technically consider myself a career change cause my career has never taken off in the first place. I would tell the whole story if anyone wants to hear it but not going to ramble on if i can avoid it.

Doing some long deep thinking the past couple days and the top on my list is needing a career change, NEEDING, not wanting. I dont know how to go about it cause i doubt my skills but I need to make a drastic change and this is at the top.

Seeing a career consellor this weeek so hope it goes good, never seen one before.

Last edited:
I'm working in a sick industry and got sick of the token couple percent raises every year. Plus my workload doubled by 250% last fall when they decimated my dept.

I said well I've always wanted to be a mechanic, I was even already licensed for state inspections since I wanted something else for a couple years.

A disorganized tire store took a chance on me and I worked P/T weekends while keeping my full time job. It was awesome and I looked forward to it every week.

Then I broke my ankle and decided it wasn't for me!
lol.gif
The disorganization and "stuff rolling downhill" had me pigeonholed. This also let me see how decently I was still being treated at my first job!!! So I gave my notice and am happily back at 40 hrs a week at Job number one-- happier than I was before the whole fracas. Because I tried.

Im not burnt out. I cant be when my career has never took off in the first place. If anything Im burnt out trying to make it work. Ive been trying for 10+ years now, but you reach the point where enough is enough and you can only remain faithful for so long. That limit for me was reached a long time ago. But right now its just finally hitting me where I have to make a change.

Started the past 4 or 5 years but really hit me hard in the past year and a bit. But a lot of it is a result of not having success in it and getting fed up and losing faith. Like I said, there is a limit, and you can only withstand so much. But right now ive just been beating a dead horse, its gotten me no where.

Over the past 10 years Ive been chasing and chasing my dream but gotten absolutely no where. Its caused me nothing but grief and stress than fufillment and success. Just horrible and shameful. Its just a shame that I wasted 12k+ in school for this and 3yrs in college for nothing. Wish I could have those years back.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yes, please tell the whole story so we can give you honest advice.

+1, I am at a crossroads myself. However I know what I have wanted to do and finally have accrued the experience to be able to do it. Now it is about persistence and willingness to take the chance.

Many people get to a position where they feel comfortable and can make by with what they make. I was there. I was making okay money but still only enough to support myself paycheck to paycheck. No retirement funding, no nice car. Just a decent lil taurus and a 1 bedroom apartment in the nice part of town.

I finally decided I am not happy with mediocrity so now am in the process of chasing my career dream. It is going well, I have had offers but all of them require me to relocate, something I cannot do just yet.

I feel like I'm rambling on but long story short. If you're not happy. Change that.

I think at some point most people make a career change. It would be pretty boring if you did the same thing with the same company for 50 or more years.

I've always been in programming, but changed from old (now obsolete) languages to SQL database design and development. The change has taken me from an academic environment to private industry to a partnership in my own company. At 68 I'm winding that career down, but a couple years ago I purchased a minority interest in a winery, and I'm helping build that business and plan continue for a number of years. After that? Who knows what opportunity may present itself.

I've also been part of a venture capital partnership that provided funding for, among other things, house renovations during the housing boom.

The opportunities are there-you just need to have the drive to go out and get them. If you don't, someone else will.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I've also been part of a venture capital partnership that provided funding for, among other things, house renovations during the housing boom.

I thought that was you on A&E's "Flip This House".
lol.gif

Just kidding.

Hey carnoobie, what do you do now?

So many of my friends are just like poor 'noobie. Tons of expensive education and cool looking degrees on the wall but no job satisfaction.

Sometimes you have to take a huge risk and try something.

Good luck. If you don't feel butterflies in your gut you didn't try hard enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back