CARBUZZ: Toyota's Hitchless Towing Technology Turns Science Fiction Into Reality

What's the point? Unless you're a dealer delivering cars, this has no practical use. You tow something because it doesn't have a powertrain. A travel trailer, a dump bed trailer, a box trailer. If they had an engine and could be driven, they wouldn't need to be towed.

that website has so many ads it makes my browser slow to a crawl, so I couldn't read it LOL

I can t imagine it working in congested areas. In NYS there is more than enough room for another car to squeeze in between the 2 vehicles. Heck I live in the suburbs and think it would be a problem on a few roads I travel daily.

What's the point? Unless you're a dealer delivering cars, this has no practical use. You tow something because it doesn't have a powertrain. A travel trailer, a dump bed trailer, a box trailer. If they had an engine and could be driven, they wouldn't need to be towed.
Did you even read the article? A few scenarios are described. They may not be your scenarios but I can see the system as having value for some people, and as time and technology advance, there may be even more opportunities to use such a system.

They’ve invented the tractor beam.

Next up, transparent aluminum.

Transparent Aluminum.png

From what I understand aluminum is clear when molten, so there is some trick to cooling it down quickly. I don't really understand the science but this appears to be the closest thing to transparent aluminum. It is used in armoring and obviously some scientific applications.

Thanks Scotty!

Beyond useful for moving vehicles , people or cargo with a single driver.

Two siennas coupled would work well in taxi, fleet or rental industry. It seems like a logical intermediate step in self driving software.

Back