Carbon in oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought one of those oil filter cutters, going to start chopping open filters when I can (separate the metal for recycling mostly). I opened up the filter on 1999 Camry, as it turned 200k on the clock and I run 5k OCI's. After draining out oil I wiped the canister clean, then set the filter element on a paper towel to dry it out a bit, then looked to see what there was.

I used a small screwdriver and managed to pull out some carbon. I don't think I found any metal flakes (thought I saw some, but I think I was seeing things), but there were some spots where it seemed like a lot of carbon. A lot be relatively--far from filling in the pleats. It seemed like there was more in there than what I pulled out (by no means did I scrape every pleat).

The paper towel that the element drained onto seems kinda dark, like with really fine particles.

I'm thinking one of the following is true:

1. Nothing to see here. This is what oil filters do. It's an old motor, it might be still shedding old carbon (bought used with 140k). It might be blowby. Since the pleats aren't full, 5k OCI might be on the short side.

2. Something to see here. No cause for alarm but it indicates that the oil is starting to break down. I buy Supertech high mileage conventional 5W30. This 5S-FE is "known" for being hard on oil. I've found the limit, and perhaps a better oil is called for. Let's be clear: I might drive mostly highway with no short trips but it sees 4k on every drive. 5k multiple times per week.

3. Eh, that's a fair amount of carbon for 5k. You're got problems.

I'm leaning towards #1. But what the heck, let's post some pics and increase my post count.

[Any filter damage in the pics is from me removing from the canister. Toyota OEM filter, 5k OCI, Supertech 5W30 high mileage conventional.]

oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

Are we talking miles or kilometers here? "k" seems to be used ambiguously.
Also, how will you recycle the metal filter can? I thought most places do that when you turn in the used filter?

Other than that the oil blot in the top left of your filter looks good. I wouldn't change a thing !

Originally Posted by CT8
Why are we worrying?.
Because CT8, thats what BITOGers do. Worry about how we are mistreating an engine in a 20 yr / 200k mile Camry. Supton, how is the body holding up? Not to be a buzz kill, you are treating the engine fine. It will out last
the sheet metal. My brother was gassing up his base model Tacoma. Guy beside him starts asking about his . Guy got 400k on his Tacoma. New frames free of charge.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Why are we worrying?.

Because I can?

I do put 500 miles on per week. Getting ready to head out for a short trip, about 100 miles each way, that's today's drive. Normally it gets driven 50 miles to work, 50 back home.

My two late model Toyota's don't put anything into the filter. My 300k VW TDi didn't seem to either, although I never looked (and it was too hard to see anyhow, man that had some jet black oil!).

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Are we talking miles or kilometers here? "k" seems to be used ambiguously.
Also, how will you recycle the metal filter can? I thought most places do that when you turn in the used filter?

Other than that the oil blot in the top left of your filter looks good. I wouldn't change a thing !

Yeah, sometimes I forget to put in "kmiles". Miles. Car has 200,000 miles on it, and I do 5,000 mile oil changes.

Our town has a transfer station and I collect my scrap metal to toss into the scrap metal bin. I keep meaning to ask about oil filters but years of just tossing into the trash makes me forget. this car is my first with a metal canister that I do oil changes on (paid to have others do it or had cars with cartridges). AFAIK it's ok to toss paper waste, not sure about a metal can... but it can't hurt to take apart.

I don't know of any state-wide program for oil filters.

Originally Posted by andyd
Supton, how is the body holding up? Not to be a buzz kill, you are treating the engine fine. It will out last
the sheet metal. My brother was gassing up his base model Tacoma. Guy beside him starts asking about his . Guy got 400k on his Tacoma. New frames free of charge.
grin2.gif

Body is doing well enough. Clear coat is long gone so it looks ugly; it was from Arizona so it has no rust underneath. Well, didn't, NH road salt is taking its toll. I spray Fluid Film in the fall, and try to touch up when I do tire rotations, but it's all a matter of time. With any luck it'll all wear out at the same time.

I do a lot of oil changes on the family vehicles and my own because of the miles I drive. I have seen similar before in the filters. I always inspect the filters as part of a regular oil change looking for sludge and metal bits etc. I regularly will see this type of debris to some degree in filters. I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I do a lot of oil changes on the family vehicles and my own because of the miles I drive. I have seen similar before in the filters. I always inspect the filters as part of a regular oil change looking for sludge and metal bits etc. I regularly will see this type of debris to some degree in filters. I wouldn't worry about it.

That's good to know, I'm not used to seeing anything in filters.

Some vehicles don't have it, some will have it from time to time and some always have it. I should have mentioned that in my post above.

Originally Posted by supton
Bought one of those oil filter cutters, going to start chopping open filters when I can (separate the metal for recycling mostly). I opened up the filter on 1999 Camry, as it turned 200k on the clock and I run 5k OCI's. After draining out oil I wiped the canister clean, then set the filter element on a paper towel to dry it out a bit, then looked to see what there was.

I used a small screwdriver and managed to pull out some carbon. I don't think I found any metal flakes (thought I saw some, but I think I was seeing things), but there were some spots where it seemed like a lot of carbon. A lot be relatively--far from filling in the pleats. It seemed like there was more in there than what I pulled out (by no means did I scrape every pleat).

The paper towel that the element drained onto seems kinda dark, like with really fine particles.

I'm thinking one of the following is true:

1. Nothing to see here. This is what oil filters do. It's an old motor, it might be still shedding old carbon (bought used with 140k). It might be blowby. Since the pleats aren't full, 5k OCI might be on the short side.

2. Something to see here. No cause for alarm but it indicates that the oil is starting to break down. I buy Supertech high mileage conventional 5W30. This 5S-FE is "known" for being hard on oil. I've found the limit, and perhaps a better oil is called for. Let's be clear: I might drive mostly highway with no short trips but it sees 4k on every drive. 5k multiple times per week.

I'm leaning towards #1. But what the heck, let's post some pics and increase my post count.

[Any filter damage in the pics is from me removing from the canister. Toyota OEM filter, 5k OCI, Supertech 5W30 high mileage conventional.]

As someone who helps maintain a 99' 4cylinder Camry; I bet that some carbon is being cleaned out. Family member has 260k on hers and I'm using M1 10w30 EP courtesy of Autozone for $1/quart. I have 26 quarts left
smile.gif

Thanks for pics and keep on with 4-5k ocis and a good filter sir
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you've got some time you could search for a thread i started years ago when I observed significant quantities of this in our oil filters that came off the Expedition. It eventually tapered off and stopped after reasonably frequent changes with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I've never seen carbon in an oil filter like that.

FWIW,

Scott

OVERKILL and myself have
wink.gif

What will we do rebuild the engine? Replace the injectors, the throttle body? What is the Camry worth? 20 years old and 200,000 miles maintain her drive her and don't worry.

Originally Posted by supton

I would say some sludge and carbon is sloughing-off and being trapped by the filter, which is good.

Seeing this I would do OCI's at less than 5k for awhile. It appears the oil is loosening-up carbon and doing some cleaning.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

FWIW,

Scott

OVERKILL and myself have
wink.gif

I'm not throwing stones, but it's probably because I am fortunate to be able to buy my vehicles new so I have a clean engine to start with. Even with the big sumps on my German fleet, I still do short OCIs. And my Honda, which I sometimes drive over 1k miles per week - and 90% of it is highway miles - I still change the oil every 5k miles, every 6 weeks sometimes.

Scott

FWIW,

Scott

OVERKILL and myself have
wink.gif

I'm not throwing stones, but it's probably because I am fortunate to be able to buy my vehicles new so I have a clean engine to start with. Even with the big sumps on my German fleet, I still do short OCIs. And my Honda, which I sometimes drive over 1k miles per week - and 90% of it is highway miles - I still change the oil every 5k miles, every 6 weeks sometimes.

Scott

I understand. I'm just saying that what I have worked on and what OVERKILL has dealt with sometimes you will have carbon inside from prior owner, etc

FWIW,

Scott

OVERKILL and myself have
wink.gif

Scott

Yes, we bought the Expedition used, and PO's maintenance is likely the reason for the carbon. It eventually ceased via proper maintenance with better lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back