Carbon cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has everyone found to work the best on cleaning carbon/blow-by products? I'm pulling my upper intake manifold off tomoorow, and due to the long and bendie intake runners, most of it is in-accesible with a brush.

I've heard:

Carb cleaner
Oven cleaner
Lacquer thinner

Your ideas?

TIA

Last year I pulled the throttle body + intake from one of our F250 trucks (~96K miles) because of an intake leak. I bought a couple spray cans of the house brand throttle body cleaner at Autozone and it cleaned things up like new on both the intake and t/b. I was realy shocked at how good it worked, but maybe most brands of t/b cleaner would have worked just as well. All the brown / black on the t/b washed away after a couple rinse/soak cycles and the intake only required minor scrubbing with a brush.

I'd try laquer thinner or tolulene, both are relatively cheap. oven cleaner can do nasty things to aluminum if left on too long altough it probably will remove carbon.

buy a gallon of acetone. Try blocking off the passages with a couple of pieces of sheet metal and let it sit for a day.

A spray bottle of FP60 heated in a warm/hot water bath and sprayed onto the throttle body melted off the carbon deposits like straight butta baby.

Both Lube Control & Fuel Power will dissolve carbon deposits like crazy. If you don't have any around, a good throttle body spray cleaner should work well too.

Lacquer thinner dissolves carbon quite nicely.

DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER!!! IT IS EXTREMELY CORROSIVE TO ALUMINUM!!!

"Seafoam Deep Creep."

Yeah I know, women have been calling me that all my life.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back