Carbon cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has everyone found to work the best on cleaning carbon/blow-by products? I'm pulling my upper intake manifold off tomoorow, and due to the long and bendie intake runners, most of it is in-accesible with a brush. I've heard: Carb cleaner Oven cleaner Lacquer thinner Your ideas? TIA

Last year I pulled the throttle body + intake from one of our F250 trucks (~96K miles) because of an intake leak. I bought a couple spray cans of the house brand throttle body cleaner at Autozone and it cleaned things up like new on both the intake and t/b. I was realy shocked at how good it worked, but maybe most brands of t/b cleaner would have worked just as well. All the brown / black on the t/b washed away after a couple rinse/soak cycles and the intake only required minor scrubbing with a brush.

I'd try laquer thinner or tolulene, both are relatively cheap. oven cleaner can do nasty things to aluminum if left on too long altough it probably will remove carbon.

mjo

buy a gallon of acetone. Try blocking off the passages with a couple of pieces of sheet metal and let it sit for a day.

A spray bottle of FP60 heated in a warm/hot water bath and sprayed onto the throttle body melted off the carbon deposits like straight butta baby.

Both Lube Control & Fuel Power will dissolve carbon deposits like crazy. If you don't have any around, a good throttle body spray cleaner should work well too.

Lacquer thinner dissolves carbon quite nicely. DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER!!! IT IS EXTREMELY CORROSIVE TO ALUMINUM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.