Caravan Clockspring recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad has been told the Clockspring is on backorder and they have no idea when the part will come in. They say 4000 are on order.

Sounds like his clockspring is coming apart. I was thinking of taking the part out so he can drive it. Would it harm anything if the clockspring was left in and he drove it till the part came in?

I don't think it would harm anything, but wanted to get feedback.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
My Dad has been told the Clockspring is on backorder and they have no idea when the part will come in. They say 4000 are on order.

Sounds like his clockspring is coming apart. I was thinking of taking the part out so he can drive it. Would it harm anything if the clockspring was left in and he drove it till the part came in?

I don't think it would harm anything, but wanted to get feedback.

Harm, no (likely not), lose functionality of important things, yes

I changed one on my Dakota , it was fairly easy. I got back my wheel controls / airbag / cruise control.

I got one at a "pick-a-part" type junkyard . I think it was $8 .

The dealer wanted $250 for a new one !!!!!!

Originally Posted By: willix
Clockspring????

That's what keeps the time in the in-dash clock, also provides ETA info to the optional navigation unit.

Common problem over the years with various GM and Chrysler products. Doorman makes several models due to their common failure might have a look on the atermarket especialy DOrman!

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Clockspring????

That's what keeps the time in the in-dash clock, also provides ETA info to the optional navigation unit.

Your joking right. The clockspring is what maintains the electrical connection between the airbag and sensors etc as the steering wheel turns (maybe horn and steering wheel controls for radio etc.)

I was thinking the clockspring also told the computer what angle the wheels are turned......but maybe not...... Don't they use a clockspring in Big Ben????????

Well the recall is free. It's my Dad's van, and he does not want to pay for it. Plus I would be kind of hesitant to use dorman after the coolant bottle I bought leaked at the seam seem a couple of years back......

It also said made in China..........not anti China but take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: rcy
Clockspring????

Your joking right. The clockspring is what maintains the electrical connection between the airbag and sensors etc as the steering wheel turns (maybe horn and steering wheel controls for radio etc.)

Totally serious. In some imports the said clock spring is wound by the onboard flux capacitor every night, if the vehicle is parked for at least 3 hours at night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Common problem over the years with various GM and Chrysler products.

Ford's had their share of them too. My Aerostar has the blinking light that tells me I need to replace it.

Originally Posted By: rcy
Clockspring????

Totally serious. In some imports the said clock spring is wound by the onboard flux capacitor every night, if the vehicle is parked for at least 3 hours at night.

and rcy is still being yanked on LOL!

A clockspring is called that because it is similar to a watch mainspring.
This is used as the electrical connection for the steering wheel.
Older cars used a spring loaded carbon contact that rode on a brass ring. But this is not consistent enough for the air bag system. A perfect hard wired system is best. So they use a coiled spring so you can turn the wheel.

Back to the main topic question.....

Well if the clockspring has fallen apart it is encased in a plastic disc correct? So nothing else should be damaged if that is the case?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Well if the clockspring has fallen apart it is encased in a plastic disc correct? So nothing else should be damaged if that is the case?

Correct, for the most part. It's low risk.

There is a remote chance that a total failure of the flat ribbon flex cable could short a B+ circuit (battery voltage) to the airbag, leading to detonation (hazardous and costly).

This is very unlikely, since the failure in the clockspring is likely a tiny little crack across the printed circuit on the flex cable, with the ribbon substrate mostly intact.

Also, we don't know if there are any B+ circuits carried by that clockspring. If the steering wheel only contains the horn and airbag, then it's probably OK. If there are radio/cruise controls, then there probably is a B+ circuit in there.

If it worries you, you might be able to unplug a connector lower on the steering column that would be just like removing the clockspring. You'd have to look at a wiring diagram for the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back