Car Shopping During Christmas - Due to Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, last night on the way home from work, my wife had a teenage girl in a 2015 RAV4 turn in front of and hit my wife's 2013 CRV. The impact knocked my wife into a stationary 2006 Jeep Commander waiting at the adjacent street intersection. Fortunately, no one was injured, but the RAV4 and CRV are likely totaled. Dang, I just made a payment last week, and only had about 10 to go. The irony is that this CRV was a replacement vehicle for a 2008 PT Cruiser that was totaled a little over 4 years ago. Everyone has insurance, thank goodness. Unfortunately, it puts a small transportation strain on us because my truck is in the body shop to repair damage from a hit and run last month. So I am driving my Jeep LJ, which needs some minor work itself, and now have to take her back and forth to work too.

We hate car shopping. I am okay with another CRV, but it will be a 2014 or older, because I cannot stand the CVT that is in them now. Otherwise, it will be something very similar to the CRV. Wife wants hands-free phone / bluetooth and backup camera. I want reliability, usability, and mileage. Waiting to hear back from insurance on what we will get in compensation, etc.

Ho, ho, ho.

Mazda CX-5.

You can find these pretty cheap as they don't hold value like a Honda. Ultra smooth non CVT transmission and 2.5L engine.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Mazda CX-5.

You can find these pretty cheap as they don't hold value like a Honda. Ultra smooth non CVT transmission and 2.5L engine.

+1

The back seats in the mazda are better than the rav- 4. I can't say how it compares to the CRV because the crv was off the list for comparison due to the cvt trans.

Last edited:
Another vote for the CX5. 2017 would be a model year I would consider. They really upped the game on the interior. The engine and transmission are excellent. I've had mine since New with absolutely no problems at all. It's a great highway cruiser to boot. The G Vectoring Control really helps in a stealth way.

The top trim line gives you four heated seats, heated steering wheel, heads up display and a lot more.

You can do real well on a left over CR-V.... I guess that's not for you.
I bought one a couple months back. It's wonderful.
Lotta room inside and drives real well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
hondas like toyotas are over rated + overpriced. use the internet to easily shop local as well as out of town as bigger dealers sell more at lower markups. girlfriend got a new jetta at a big dealer 75 miles away few years back for a G less than the local crooks wanted for a leftover!!

I don't think you could go wrong with either the RAV4 or the CX5. Having owned a 2015 RAV4 previously I say if you want boring and reliable go with the Toyota. If you're more of a driving enthusiast and want a car that's still very reliable get the Mazda.

Has everyone recommending the CX-5 actually driven one? We have the 2014 RAV4 and our daughter has a 2015 CX-5 and the difference in daily driving dynamics is nil. Maybe we need to go autocrossing with them to feel the Zoom Zoom? Did Mazda do something 2016 up to rate the high praise? Back when we bought it was down to the RAV and CX-5, everything else being close the RAV won because the interior wasn't all black. Both have been flawless since new, we're going to DT tomorrow with the Mazda for new Continentals. Certainly a nice CUV but I don't find myself smiling like a butcher's dog when I drive it.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Has everyone recommending the CX-5 actually driven one? We have the 2014 RAV4 and our daughter has a 2015 CX-5 and the difference in daily driving dynamics is nil. Maybe we need to go autocrossing with them to feel the Zoom Zoom? Did Mazda do something 2016 up to rate the high praise? Back when we bought it was down to the RAV and CX-5, everything else being close the RAV won because the interior wasn't all black. Both have been flawless since new, we're going to DT tomorrow with the Mazda for new Continentals. Certainly a nice CUV but I don't find myself smiling like a butcher's dog when I drive it.

The 2.5L turbo is
20.gif

I'd still take a non-turbo CX-5 over the RAV4 though.

Last edited:
Glad nobody was hurt
smile.gif

Get a TourX
19.gif

There is nothing wrong with a newer CR-V. Do not fear the CVT. Honda's CVT holds up well and will last a long time. Happy Honda Days
27.gif

Of course, the Rav4 is worth considering. Toyota makes the best cars.

I don't think GM uses CVT's that much, so maybe you might like the Equinox?

As an owner-a Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Tucson would be worth consideration.

And you will save PLENTY over the Toyo/Honda/CX5 equivalent.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

2016 Mazda CX-5 was a mild refresh/update year. Some cosmetics, added sound deadening insulation, infotainment system updates, swivel headlights, eP-brake/auto brake hold and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtoSFehn2E

Last edited:
There is a saying buy brand new Toyota, Honda or Subaru while on the used market you buy Mazda, Ford, VW, Kia etc etc for a reason

That being said we owe 16 CRV and we are very happy with the vehicle. It is currently at 51k miles run and beyond it's regular maintenance we did not put any money on it. It's front brakes lasted to 50k as well as it's Continental original tires; I'll be in the same boat like you by looking for a new/newer (I'm not shying away from that new CRV again among others) car for myself next year in December most likely; the good thing it is you can score a great deal shopping for one at the end of the year, if there is a best time to get a vehicle this is it.

So you have multiple options in the class so choose what ever best fit your family needs and wants...

The RAV had a refresh then as well to address NVH, the main complaints at the time were road noise and harsh ride. Agree on the road noise but not harsh ride, it's a cute ute not a Crown Vic! I thought then and still do that the Mazda is better looking but it was her choice. If I were buying a used RAV it would be a '16 up to get the updates.

BITOG has many Honda-haters, many of whom haven't owned one. It's also loaded with CX-5 sycophants, most of whom haven't owned or driven one.

We used to own a CR-V many years ago and I've recently helped some friends/family shop in the segment. Incidentally, one ended up with a new CR-V, the other a new CX-5. What you can expect is for the CR-V to be very good at everything, including being better and more flexible for cargo. The powertrain is also very good (I'd even go so far as saying I kind of liked this latest iteration of Honda's CVT). The CX-5 smacks of quality (particularly the interior) and is athletic in terms of handling but it's noisier and it's cargo area is smaller and not as useful as the CR-V. The Mazda's conventional auto is nice but the engine's power delivery feels flatter than the Honda's which pulls more at higher RPM.

If it were my money I'd put it on the CR-V. I think it's the best package in the segment unless you don't care as much about the cargo area or road noise.

Originally Posted by CKN
As an owner-a Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Tucson would be worth consideration.

And you will save PLENTY over the Toyo/Honda/CX5 equivalent.

Yes both are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back