Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes yet another tactic by some members that are not moderators and like to think and try to control a thread. Generally this action is from a long time forum member. So obvious a tactic and really counter supportive of the forum in general. This thread is actually getting lots of attention and good responses by even members that have some relation ship challenges. Frankly if it were a moderated thread it should have been locked after I posted as a information thread only with no responses nessisary . I would have requested it but thought that members here a bit more intelligent and mature, boy was that an inaccurate assumption . Lol
Problem is—we don’t know you. You don’t have any “cred” here.

Post count does not mean credible nor trusted, but after a while, posters “prove” their advice in numerous threads and interactions, where other long time contributors have ”duked it out” with them. Even after being here a long time, if a poster posts questionable content—there will be push back or at least debate.

It’s similar to real life, just cloaked in anonymity of the internet. Or worse, since we can’t see your certs, your shop, talk to former clients, so on and so forth.

I read the OP.

My first reaction was "DUH".

Just like everywhere else you gotta separate the wheat from the chaff, sometimes it is easy, sometimes not. I think it is somewhat more difficult here at times because there are people who will post on nearly any subject with authority and well written responses, but if you know little about some of those things you know they are utterly and completely clueless, well written but clueless at least about some things.

That's your personal opinion. Really if my posting style bother you don't respond or read them. So you are like those that censor people because they don't like what they say. I don't feel I am confrontational which is really an opinion unless you are a physiatrist by profession or think you know all about me personally. In most every case I respond a member like your self has some negative to say. Perhaps maybe you should take your own advise? I will say every member that has less then a friendly response to me response I look into their past responses on this forum like yours just to see what they are like how the respond to other members and what they actually say. And yup I did look into yours.

Its funny one big thing that seems to be lacking in this forum or I can't find a designated thread specifically that people if they want post what they do or did for a living?
As a couple have pointed out I am really bad at my writing skills , so what do I really know. ;)
lol

Who else’s opinion would I have but my own personal one? I didn’t insinuate nor overtly state that I speak for anyone but myself…

I don’t post often, especially compared to some members here. I post when others post bunk that has yet to be refuted, like your recommendation to run ATF as an engine cleaner. Bunk.

Who else’s opinion would I have but my own personal one? I didn’t insinuate nor overtly state that I speak for anyone but myself…

I don’t post often, especially compared to some members here. I post when others post bunk that has yet to be refuted, like your recommendation to run ATF as an engine cleaner. Bunk.
Well first of all you have a reading comprehensions concern? I did not recomend to do the procedure. Go re-read what exactly I posted.
You just summed up a lot about some of my comments having to do with a few members.

BTW I did that procedure a few times on my 2018 Mazda which I purchased new and none of the several oil analysis indicated a negative aspect or actually even shown trace amounts of ATF in the oil analysis. Yet it did show my using seafoam on one occasion. LOL I will say that it was every other oil/filter service and not the one I sent in for analysis that I used my personal procedure to clean the internal engine prior an oil service procedure. I DO NOT DO THIS TO ANY CUSTOMERS ENGINES! Mostly because of comments from the internet using the word "bunk" without real data. LOL

So you call it bunk (NO REAL EMPIRICAL DATA ONLY WORD OF OTHERS) but I did not read nor have I read that you tried it. Therefor you are going on others that also never tried it but post it is "bunk"/ LOL . Looks like this thread has more merit to consider? So think about that for a moment? No harm to an engine the way I described how I use it and no Empirical Data to indicate a positive or negative effect using it as I described in the posting you referenced? OoooooKay LOL

i always appreciate posts on issues from anyone, as even rookies can help sometimes BUT factual info from experienced pros is best + most appreciated!! i have learned on many forums + thanks to all that take the time to input info, especially from those that truely KNOW!!

Always wondered about that term, forum. I don't recall it being used much before the internet became popular. Thought it had to do with something in ancient Greece. Why was it adopted as a term for groups of internet users with similar interests? Why not, User Group or Discussion Club?
At one time the term "User Group" was quite common. AFAIK, HP still has a User Group or two, but I've not checked to verify.

Well first of all you have a reading comprehensions concern? I did not recomend to do the procedure. Go re-read what exactly I posted.
You just summed up a lot about some of my comments having to do with a few members.

BTW I did that procedure a few times on my 2018 Mazda which I purchased new and none of the several oil analysis indicated a negative aspect or actually even shown trace amounts of ATF in the oil analysis. Yet it did show my using seafoam on one occasion. LOL I will say that it was every other oil/filter service and not the one I sent in for analysis that I used my personal procedure to clean the internal engine prior an oil service procedure. I DO NOT DO THIS TO ANY CUSTOMERS ENGINES! Mostly because of comments from the internet using the word "bunk" without real data. LOL

So you call it bunk (NO REAL EMPIRICAL DATA ONLY WORD OF OTHERS) but I did not read nor have I read that you tried it. Therefor you are going on others that also never tried it but post it is "bunk"/ LOL . Looks like this thread has more merit to consider? So think about that for a moment? No harm to an engine the way I described how I use it and no Empirical Data to indicate a positive or negative effect using it as I described in the posting you referenced? OoooooKay LOL

Empirical data has been posted by a number of Tribologists as to the formulation of modern ATF, which doesn't contain anything designed to clean an engine. @MolaKule is one such member who formulates lubricants for a living.

Back in the day, when ATF formulations contained whale oil and engine oils weren't even remotely close to what they are today, ATF provided some cleaning capability due to the presence of that component. Modern ATF's are no longer formulated in that manner, they are a hydraulic fluid formulated to provide some very specific friction characteristics for the applications they are designed for and blended using the same bases as engine oils. Since ATF's aren't exposed to combustion byproducts such as soot, fuel, blowby gasses...etc, they are not formulated to have to deal with them, let alone dissolve/remove these when they plate out or accumulate.

I'm not sure what you'd expect to see in a UOA that would denote it was ATF? You might see a very slight dilution of the additive levels, but nothing that would stand out, and would likely be within the fudge factor for the lubricant in use anyways.

I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who said this.
1627318493706.jpg

This is true, but sometimes those "other" ways save a ton of time with no real risk. I changed the heater core in my foxbody through the glove box opening by only undoing the passenger side dash supports, using a small 1/4" drive ratchet and a lot of patience and swearing. This avoided having to pull the dash, which was the what the Ford FSM called for.

Ford originally called for complete cylinder head replacement on the 3-thread modulars and didn't support the use of helicoils or similar. Eventually, they approved the use of the lock-n-stitch insert which saved a huge amount of time and money, but there would have been a period where the inserts were being used and it wasn't endorsed by Ford.
Yes, the law of large number (or over a long time) will eventually reach the mean. Without the large sample size the only way to know what is trustworthy or not is to see who has skin in the game. Are you feeling lucky, if you are not who will pay for it? It doesn't mean they know best, just means they will sink with you so you guys have the same interest.

i always appreciate posts on issues from anyone, as even rookies can help sometimes BUT factual info from experienced pros is best + most appreciated!! i have learned on many forums + thanks to all that take the time to input info, especially from those that truely KNOW!!
I was tempted to post my resume , but thought at this time it would only be self serving. I would rather wait and learn more about a few members and maybe learn how to respond when we are posting in the same thread. I have already spotted a few posers.... :) hahah which is fine and explains why I am seeing a lot of push back on my response's on some threads.
You know somewhere I posted the reason I joined was the HOME PAGE information. I was looking for a report that has become no longer available and thought I could get some of what I was seeking having to do with motor oils on this forum. So I joined. The sad thing is to find unbiased opinions you have to seek old threads and posted information when the forum was first created. Now IMHO it is like most forums that have been around for a decade or more full of long time members that posting count generally indicates they are by that high posting count naturally the wise members ( :rolleyes: ), and new members like myself that may know equally what they do or heaven forbid more on some subject material (based on certification or level of depth experience) are defending there information from not only the "wiseman" but their faithful followers of those core "wiseman" members with high posting count and severs hundred likes to support anything they post as gospel and or experienced based information. lol

That's fine I seldom ever on any forum I participate on flat post that someone it WRONG. But when I am told I am wrong or some one claims what I said is "bunk" I want the Empirical Data to show me my WRONG! In my world engineering Performance Parts it is all about Empirical data about subjects and materiel. I engineer and build for distribution sales as an example BBKs so I researched every aspect about the metal composition for the disc I will either be using or personally machining to my design specifications.

You ever take a peek at my thread on my fun only projects with our family Dailey driver? You should see one of my cars I built one of my business this a single platform and model vehicle for over 7 years from 2002-2009. 2008 was about the peak and I stopped making new parts because the sales declined and to many re engineered many of my parts officering them up as theirs. It happens most of us except that these days as parts of doing business. These days I am suppose to be retired but I have my hands in to many fun business cookie jars to just quit working.

Last edited:
I was tempted to post my resume , but thought at this time it would only be self serving. I would rather wait and learn more about a few members and maybe learn how to respond when we are posting in the same thread. I have already spotted a few posers.... :) hahah which is fine and explains why I am seeing a lot of push back on my response's on some threads.
From what I've seen that hasn't stopped you yet.

Eh, you're really splitting hairs. While you claimed you were not recommending the practice, because dummies would screw it up, you went on to explain that you do it and how well it works and then propose the merit and debate ATF in the engine with several members. Fence-sitting and CYA at its finest! If ATF in the engine was a bona-fide legit practice it would be widely adopted and supported and you'd seemingly be eagerly endorsing it. It's not, and you're really fence-sitting on the issue.

The use of Capitals reminds me of this internet blog.
Hmm .... PimTac... ;) :cool:
Aside from me posting many many times on threads you read what I posted, I never claimed to be good and in fact stated on a few threads on this forum my writing and everything having to do with it sucks. Funny in collage I excelled in Science, mathematics' even quantum physic's and naturally engineering and my classmate friends that were not so good in those area's but wrote very well, we often coached each other. So often times when I run into an Engineer or a forum member that writes well and has an answer for everything I am reminded of those classmates .... not really so intelligent in the subject material but can write a mean paper that looks like "smart"! lol

Aside from me posting many many times on threads you read what I posted, I never claimed to be good and in fact stated on a few threads on this forum my writing and everything having to do with it sucks. Funny in collage I excelled in Science, mathematics' even quantum physic's and naturally engineering and my classmate friends that were not so good in those area's but wrote very well, we often coached each other. So often times when I run into an Engineer or a forum member that writes well and has an answer for everything I am reminded of those classmates .... not really so intelligent in the subject material but can write a mean paper that looks like "smart"! lol

You will have to excuse me then. I didn’t go to collage.

Eh, you're really splitting hairs. While you claimed you were not recommending the practice, because dummies would screw it up, you went on to explain that you do it and how well it works and then propose the merit and debate ATF in the engine with several members. Fence-sitting and CYA at its finest! If ATF in the engine was a bona-fide legit practice it would be widely adopted and supported and you'd seemingly be eagerly endorsing it. It's not, and you're really fence-sitting on the issue.
Oh really , this is because a DIY and even a trained professional is more like to screw up something that is not a tried and true method procedure. So yes at time I will post things that only I do and state you shouldn't copy me!

This is getting pointless....the reason for this thread is simply EVERYONE should consider what advise and recommendation they read on any forum including this one before totally believing it or performing a procedure?
As for ATF and no supplier of ATF claiming it to be a cleaning product GOLLEY how many uses are there for DUCK TAPE, WD-40, how about water to name a few of thousands of products that have more uses then the manufacture stated? ROLMAO.

If you don't like what I personal do and indicated does not harm an engine by way of oil analyzed DON"T DO IT> If you don't like my posting information don't read it and defiantly dont respond unless you are reading to correct me with real Empirical DATA. No one has shown that in the example and why this thread is the top read thread in the last coupe days shown that using ATF will harm an engine in the way I personally use it! LOL

OK truly I am done with my own thread because it has gotten so off topic now I am surprised Administration and or moderators have not chimed in. So have fun it. ROLMAO

If I made as many spelling and grammar errors as you do I would never have graduated college. All my lab teachers were stickers when we submitted lab reports. Chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, all of them were that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back