Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add my 2 cents to this thread. Many times newbies or people that haven't done various repairs that may only be required once on a vehicle run into issues. I've been there many times with my car's from the rust belt. You get stuck and you want the answer ASAP since you cannot leave the vehicle apart for long periods of time.

Many of the guys here are busy and may not be able to answer you in a timely manner. I've learned it's best to research beforehand and do your homework. Also try soaking fasteners a few days beforehand in penetrating fluid and the repair may go faster especially in the rust belt.

You also need to invest in the proper tools (or have access to the loan a tool) in order to save time and make the job easier.

I've learned many good tips here and I'm grateful to those that help time after time.

Chill buddy. My comment was just an observation. Not a personal criticism.

You've been here a couple of weeks, so you may not know that there are a lot of qualified mechanics, or former mechanics, on THIS board. I agree, there is a lot of misinformation posted all over the 'net. Blatant misinformation posted here is usually corrected in short order.

Signed, a former ASE Master Tech
Thank you 02SE
I have been ASE Master Technician for 39 years also current California emission certified. I also hold a few other certifications in the mechanical field of study including Aircraft and motorcycle since 1975. I have never posted "Blatant misinformation" anywhere on any forum and have even preference some responses with "it works for me" , I don't recomend but I do it" and even some things I do are for fun only NOT to be copied.
:)

where are
02SE
Messages5,843 Location the canyons ?

The OP is wrong in his assumptions that this forum is not helpful to those with a real problem. If a member has a question about anything mechanical, electrical or chassis related or whatever a lot of members will try to help. The issue is that many times that is hard to do over a forum. We have a lot of good experienced people here that are willing to help.

The OP is wrong in his assumptions that this forum is not helpful to those with a real problem. If a member has a question about anything mechanical, electrical or chassis related or whatever a lot of members will try to help. The issue is that many times that is hard to do over a forum. We have a lot of good experienced people here that are willing to help.
He didn't single out any specific site or forum, only a generalization about automotive forums, which is pretty spot on.

Pim Tac I complemented you, in a sarcastic way which I admit but really I have read dozens of your responses on various subjects and you have some very good solid fact based information. I wish we were "friends" because your internet research skills are fantastic. But really it seems IMHO you post "exert" on almost any subject material ever brought up on this forum? I try to choose the threads I have the most to offered based on direct experience and not waxing up my internet surfboard for supportive information. From you very few personal pictures of anything you related to a thread you respond in I have found only internet copied and pasted pictures and I think a video or 2 but no personal supportive pictures of experience to the topic at hand? With Messages17,883 I am sure maybe I just missed them? ;)
I have already posted what over I think over 100 pictures and a couple of video's and only been a member a month?
Sorry! but who u fooling? :rolleyes:

Sounds like a stalker.
Funny you would suggest that?
I often find threaten individuals that will place thoughts to others about people by this exact style of response!

Looking into any member on this forum is called "following" on other forum the setting can be see who is on line and what they are veiwing. What is it called when forum owners or Moderators frequently do this? Oh but that would be acceptable I suppose in your view point? :cautious: If you want to learn more about things a member may know that interest you one way to do this is to read past responses posted by that member, and you call that stalking? :unsure:Now I suppose you are going claim you dont look at what a member posts? :cool:

Again I repeat I respect and have found that you post generally good information .

Yes yet another tactic by some members that are not moderators and like to think and try to control a thread. Generally this action is from a long time forum member. So obvious a tactic and really counter supportive of the forum in general. This thread is actually getting lots of attention and good responses by even members that have some relation ship challenges. Frankly if it were a moderated thread it should have been locked after I posted as a information thread only with no responses nessisary . I would have requested it but thought that members here a bit more intelligent and mature, boy was that an inaccurate assumption . Lol

I enjoy your posts Nitro. I enjoy the chats we have had too. I try to help out as much as possible. Sometimes other members will be critical towards me but I just let it go and try to handle it civilly. And I look up to many members who have helped me too. Believe me any free mechanic advice you can get, take it. Most mechanics don’t want to help people but the ones that are here do including me. It’s like my coworkers don’t like getting questions from customers but I don’t mind it. Eventually you will be able to filter the good from the bad. It’s like some of the stuff I was taught in school I’ve learned may not be the correct way or there is a better way. Even cases where it hasn’t been relevant to today’s technology. And if someone is posting what they know then I respect them. I especially respect older people who try to help.

I’ll give an example of something I was taught through this board which I greatly value and has helped me look better. In school we learned all hose clamps that aren’t worm gear style should be disregarded because they aren’t as superior and replaced with worm gear style ones. Well I posted that here and someone told me that it was wrong well after asking for an explanation and researching I found to be what they were saying true so I no longer disregard those style clamps like I used too. If not for this board I’d still be doing what I used too.

Being 19 I understand people think a lot of what I say is wrong or not true but most of it is from my 3 years experience in the field plus it technically adds up more if you count the 4 years of school I did for it. It’s like I’ve replaced and seen many push button starts fail but when I mention it in this board many members seem to not believe it because it hasn’t happened to them. Honestly I’ve seen more of them fail than I have keyed ignitions. And that’s true believe it or not.

I also have my opinion towards certain brands of vehicles and certainly everyone does. For me personally I’d want advice for a vehicle from a seasoned mechanic not a consumer, a typical consumer from the ones I know don’t have a clue even what engine their car has other than they know it’s been a great car. People on here have said they want advice from a consumer with first hand owners experience but that’s just not me and that’s fine if they want it.

And I understand your point too. I always respect someone’s response too whether it be wrong or right and as others have said it’s sometimes hard to help over the internet vs being there in person. And one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone asks a question like to you directly then don’t even like or respond to your post when you answer back. That is very rude in my opinion anyway but it’s something I try to not let bother me anymore either.

And I always value the criticism I get here if it will help me learn but when someone is doing it just to be mean then that’s an issue. And I know everyone has a bad day here and there and sometimes things do get out of hand but that’s just what happens. And I don’t take anything to personal or too heart. There is times where I just have to put it down for a minute to cool off.

Official instruction from the manufacturing is the only official way, anything else is at your own risk. However as the problem goes from new to old we will finally see what works and doesn't. Are you feeling lucky? What you gain by going your own way vs official? Is the official way "wasteful"? or "too expensive"?

This is the same as getting OEM parts vs aftermarket.

Official instruction from the manufacturing is the only official way, anything else is at your own risk. However as the problem goes from new to old we will finally see what works and doesn't. Are you feeling lucky? What you gain by going your own way vs official? Is the official way "wasteful"? or "too expensive"?

This is the same as getting OEM parts vs aftermarket.

This is true, but sometimes those "other" ways save a ton of time with no real risk. I changed the heater core in my foxbody through the glove box opening by only undoing the passenger side dash supports, using a small 1/4" drive ratchet and a lot of patience and swearing. This avoided having to pull the dash, which was the what the Ford FSM called for.

Ford originally called for complete cylinder head replacement on the 3-thread modulars and didn't support the use of helicoils or similar. Eventually, they approved the use of the lock-n-stitch insert which saved a huge amount of time and money, but there would have been a period where the inserts were being used and it wasn't endorsed by Ford.

Thank you 02SE
I have been ASE Master Technician for 39 years also current California emission certified. I also hold a few other certifications in the mechanical field of study including Aircraft and motorcycle since 1975. I have never posted "Blatant misinformation" anywhere on any forum and have even preference some responses with "it works for me" , I don't recomend but I do it" and even some things I do are for fun only NOT to be copied.
:)

where are
02SE
Messages5,843 Location the canyons ?

Well, not so fast. In a different thread, in the last 24 hours, you've been very insistent on advice/recommendations to run ATF in an engine as a pre-oil change flush. I think that advice is questionable, at best.

I've never read any supporting ATF in engine claims from major oil makers or marketers. Nor from companies that make engine - flush products. Everything I've read suggests ATF has less detergents than modern synthetic motor oils, meaning that ATF would be less effective not more effective. Plus it's not designed for an ICE.

So, at best that advice is in the deep minority consisting of a lot of unconfirmed internet lore without any followup from those who may have destroyed or shortened the lives of their engines doing it. No studies, tests, too many variables and no "control" engines, no follow up. Instead a lot of "my grand papy used to do this on his F100 in 1979."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back