Car recommends 5W-30 outside US and Canada vs 0W-20. Run 5W-30 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did not read what I wrote.

The difference between 16 and 20 is likely within range. The difference between 16 and 40 surely shouldn't be within that range obviously.

In mechanical oil pumps the oil pump just bleeds off /bypasses excess pressure it makes.

Variable displacement pumps are programmed to make the specified pressure given the rpm of the engine, the temperature of coolant, temp of oil, intake air temp and of course what expectation of viscosity is in the car.

There's really no need to disbelieve or believe you can simply look up how these multi-displacement pumps work it is not secret information.
What “range”? There is no range. Another imaginary construct that doesn’t exist.

And yes, I have looked it up. I know how they operate. There is no “range”.

What “range”? There is no range. Another imaginary construct that doesn’t exist.

And yes, I have looked it up. I know how they operate. There is no “range”.

??? There are dozens of vehicle systems that operate within ranges. Heck our entire fueling system on modern automobiles operate within ranges which is why they have massive fuel trim ability of up to 25% so they can operate within normal limits at both sea level and at 15,000 ft on the top of the mountain.

Variable displacement lubrication system certainly has an acceptable range of performance.

Because you do not understand these things does not mean they do not exist

Why does it have to "expect" anything, if it has this complex ability to sense it? This makes no sense. If it can, and in fact does all of that, then what's the issue?

It should be able to tackle this monumental "problem" of supplying proper oil pressure for a higher viscosity oil, like child's play.

Why would they make something more complicated, sophisticated, not to mention expensive...... Then not have it work as well? That's not an improvement on anything. But rather going backwards. And to achieve what purpose?

Because electronic feedback systems need an assumed value to model from. A reference range. The vehicle is tested vigorously with that equipment in use in this case the correct viscosity oil. The model is then created off of that.

Think of it like exhaust gas temperature modeling. These models exist based on assumed components like the factory catalytic converter and factory programmed spec air fuel ratio. When you throw in a test pipe to get more power or you decide to change the air fuel ratio to try and get more power your exhaust gas temperatures are no longer going to be accurate because the modeling was done in a different state of tune and with different equipment.

Make sense? If not there are several manuals that I can point you to that can go into much more depth on this.

Let’s take a break from the topic. Name-calling, engaging in the ad hominem argument, is a sure sign that we’ve gone off the rails.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back