Car Rebuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the TV program OVERHAULED last night. I find it fascinating how they rebuild a vehicle from the frame up including a highly respected engine & transmission rebuilder. As they were putting the newly rebuilt and modified 390 Cu IN engine in the car, I noticed it had a new Orange Can Fram installed.

That's just for the five hour breakin.

Just kidding. I still think you can do better for the money, but I wouldn't have a problem with that filter in a new engine I just bought.

If you were to standardize on one filter (and a production shop probably has to) I would probably pick the orange can because they are cheap and easily identifiable as "not generic garbage". Every engine you sell the buyer is going to have some preference, might as well pick the most common brand to cast the widest net.

The 'word' on Fram has been out the in the 'car guy' community for a long time. That's probably the world that a car like this would interest most and so not such a good sales point

It's entertaining to see what can be done with an older car. I rebuilt the engine on my Honda and I'm happy with the results. The norm is to throw away a car after a few years and buy a new one. Often times it's because marketing says the new car is better and you've just got to have it or your life is incomplete. Who in their right mind wants to drive a car that's so last year?

I hope the Senate Committee on un-American activities does not come after me for owning and maintaining a 30 year old daily driver that I purchased new with cash and did not finance. They might cite me for not supporting their banks and contributing to the support of the unions that elected them to office. They could claim that I'm a hazard to my own safety for not having an airbag that're ready to explode in my face in the event of an accident. I sure hope that being debt free does not become a crime in this new America and that I can continue driving my Honda while I remain debt free and earn my own way in life.

It's TV. You need something to catch the eye. Did they have bright spark plug wires too?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Watched the TV program OVERHAULED last night. I find it fascinating how they rebuild a vehicle from the frame up including a highly respected engine & transmission rebuilder. As they were putting the newly rebuilt and modified 390 Cu IN engine in the car, I noticed it had a new Orange Can Fram installed.
What is wrong with a Fram filter. The B.S program is worse.

A guy posted a thread here about all the orange cans he saw on engines at car shows.

Realistically it's most likely the most used DIYer filter on the market.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Eddie
What is wrong with a Fram filter. The B.S program is worse.

+1

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's entertaining to see what can be done with an older car. I rebuilt the engine on my Honda and I'm happy with the results. The norm is to throw away a car after a few years and buy a new one. Often times it's because marketing says the new car is better and you've just got to have it or your life is incomplete. Who in their right mind wants to drive a car that's so last year?

I hope the Senate Committee on un-American activities does not come after me for owning and maintaining a 30 year old daily driver that I purchased new with cash and did not finance. They might cite me for not supporting their banks and contributing to the support of the unions that elected them to office. They could claim that I'm a hazard to my own safety for not having an airbag that're ready to explode in my face in the event of an accident. I sure hope that being debt free does not become a crime in this new America and that I can continue driving my Honda while I remain debt free and earn my own way in life.

I had a salesman pitch that stuff at me. I drop of a friend at the dealership to pick up his car. As I waited outside to make sure my friend got this car, a salesman approach me and ask if he can help. I said just waiting for a friend in service. Then he asked what car I was driving. I pointed to it and he asked why I like the car. Well, I had it for six years, I know every inch of it, and it's paid off. He asked if I was bored with it and was willing to trade it in. I said no. Then he asked if I wanted a weekend car. Lol, what? a weekend car? He as like yea, a lot of people have weekend rides, pointed at some cars and threw some numbers.

I saw my friend pulling out form service, excused myself and headed back to my car. He then pitch the unsafe speech. How old is your car? It's 15 years old, why? He asked if I feel safe driving such an "old" car with one airbag. Then he example how new cars have ABS, traction control, 10 airbags, crumble zone, and auto headlight that can make me a safer driver. I laugh, told him that my car has two airbags and left.

(There are times a new car is needed and such and I know a salesman is there to make a living)

Back on topic with Fram. If you watched Barrett Jackson, you see a lot of Fram installed on engine from the under-view cam. I know people who use the "orange can" on their track cars and daily drivers. I had try to show them better filter for the buck and even the Ultra. However, Fram works for them and they feel comfortable with it. I guess the same applies to me. I love Maxlife ATF and other may tell me there are better ATF but I still stick with Maxlife until something goes wrong.

Some of these people with very expensive resto-mod vehicles say that the orange can works for them. Beyond the fact that it fits and does not leak, how would they know that it works better or worse than any other spin on filter? I can't see these guys cutting a used one open and I don't hear them ever talk about a UOA. One fellow invested $25K in a highly modified modern V8 for his 35 Ford along with other upgrades like a Fat Boy front end and many other changes. He uses 20w-50 conventional oil and the orange can. He said that not only is the orange can the best filter there is but that synthetic oil would damage his engine and cause oil leaks and is not up the the stresses of a high performance engine. So, there you have it. The true low-down on oil and filters from an x-pert.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

LOLOL-sounds like my truck collection! I could sell/trade in all 3 of them, & it wouldn't put a DENT in what ONE new cab & chassis service truck would cost me (in what I would want it would be somewhere north of $55K)-I'd rather be a little "unsafe" & have some extra $, thanks!

I think it is there to make the engine look like it was from the 1960s. The appearance of Fram filters hasn't changed in ages, and many people were using them in the 1960s.

That in mind, if I had a show sponsored by Fram, I would use it as an opportunity to show off the most expensive filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back