Car ready for pick up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twouvakind

Site Donor 2024
A couple of images of the("repaired") panoramic sunroof of our 2016 Kia Soul. Bought the car CPO with 48k, now the roof became sluggish closing to the point of a hand assist at 57k. Dealer notes say the "roof is not used that often"(wife uses it every day weather permitting)Cleaned and lubricated mechanism etc. Images show gasket askew as the roof glass grabs it and folds it down with every well lubricated closing. I quizzed the service manager how his "A" techs did not notice the gasket, he promptly returned to the service bay with the car and let us sit for a half our only to say we cannot find a part number for the gasket and that the repair may be covered under the 5yr/60k or he may have to write an estimate as the 12mo./12k "adjustment period warranty" has long since expired. Adjustment? I kinda lost it when he mentioned an estimate.

Well......heard back from him with the fix(as per a service bulletin)that the gasket simply needs some weatherstrip adhesive(covered repair) ....when would it be convenient for us the leave the car with the dealer...again. Ain't nothing convenient about this experience and am going to corporate with a complaint. IMHO that weatherstrip wont lose that memory of being folded over, why not do it right the second time and replace a pair of weatherstrips? Note, the weatherstrip fits inside a plastic trim strip...will the adhesive bond with plastic? I'm pretty sure the weatherstrip is threaded into the plastic from the open end, not glued from the factory.

IMG_20190504_091138.jpg

IMG_20190504_091223.jpg

Classic dealership blow-off. Not being able to find a part number is a pretty weak excuse.

Has to write up an estimate and then all of the sudden it can be fixed with glue under warranty. I'll bet that's an expensive weather strip or difficult to install.

We have replaced more than a few complete panoramic moonroof assemblies on Flex's and Edge's. Also replaced countless moonroof assemblies on F-150s to the point that we stock them now. Any kind of moonroof or sunroof is a deal-breaker for me.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
We have replaced more than a few complete panoramic moonroof assemblies on Flex's and Edge's. Also replaced countless moonroof assemblies on F-150s to the point that we stock them now. Any kind of moonroof or sunroof is a deal-breaker for me.

The pano roofs on both Mercedes are still fine. One's a 2008 and the other is a 2011. Love having them although the 2011 tends to make more noise than the 2008. Can't get away from sunroof/pano roof on an E-350, the sunroof is standard and the pano is the option. All my passengers seem to like it.

Unfortunately if you want them to do the work then you have to live in their world. Take the car back and let them try to fix it. If it doesn't work, let them replace the rubber.

Your options are:

A. Take it elsewhere
B. Fix it yourself
C. Let them fix it, even if it takes multiple visits
D. Live with it
E. Sell the car

You can yell to corporate or us all you want, but the above are the only resolutions.

I'll always go with a sunroof delete on a new car if there is any way possible to do so.

It's shoddy workmanship. Take it back. Tell them their name is on that work.

If they don't want to correct it then the power of word of mouth should be enough to convince them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
I'll always go with a sunroof delete on a new car if there is any way possible to do so.

Indeed, you are ASKING for trouble in the near future if you buy ANY vehicle with a sunroof!

Not to mention it adds cost to the sale price, it weakens the structural integrity somewhat as well.

Save your money, and headaches, NEVER buy a sunroof!

Any hole in the roof is a complete, instant deal-killer for me. I will not own a vehicle with a sunroof or moonroof.

Yeah … our Fusion and Cruze were the last of many with roof holes … Oh and the Explorer had lots of that glass up-top …
But I'm buying mid level now and avoid the roof stuff …

I've read/heard nothing but problems with these huge pano roofs. We had one on our previous Lincoln MKC. It was so noisy when new (when closed at speeds above 75). The dealer kept it for 3 days, and re-adjusted. It was good after that. It's a feature I would never intentionally pay for, nor order. Luckily with Lincoln, you get a free loaner every time it's in the shop.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by MCompact

Indeed, you are ASKING for trouble in the near future if you buy ANY vehicle with a sunroof!

Not to mention it adds cost to the sale price, it weakens the structural integrity somewhat as well.

Save your money, and headaches, NEVER buy a sunroof!

Well they probably cost a little more used, but I like to buy used cars that are loaded. Haven't had too many problems with them.

You won't have any problems with a car if you ride a bicycle.

My ‘11 FX4 had a sunroof and I never opened it the whole 8 years I owned it. Alas, my new leftover ‘18 XLT has a sunroof too, which will never be opened long as I own it. It is my observation that if you never open a sunroof there shouldn't be any problems.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Nah that's too extreme a way to go...you won't have any problems if you just buy your car without the sunroof.
20.gif

Nah that's too extreme a way to go...you won't have any problems if you just buy your car without the sunroof.
::

All the vehicles I've owned since 1992 had sunroofs. I've never had a leak or a problem with them.

Originally Posted by PimTac

::

All the vehicles I've owned since 1992 had sunroofs. I've never had a leak or a problem with them.

That too, had cars with a sunroof that were made back in the 80's. They never leaked. Only issue with my pano roof now is that it makes noise sometimes going over bumps at an angle. The bolts are loose and need to be tightened. Just haven't gotten around to getting that done. Same with power windows and locks. Most of the time they worked. I did have some power windows in the rear that wouldn't go down anymore. But instead of replacing the regulator, I just got rid of the car and never really used those windows anyway. Which might have had something to do with them not working. They're a cool feature, think I'll look for it also in the next car. Just like power windows, locks, brakes, heated seats, massage seats, keyless go, active curve illumination, etc.

40 + years in the automotive business and I can assure you that sooner or later, your sunroof is going to be a problem. Probably after the warranty has expired. Today's cars have dual panoramic sunroofs that literally encompass the entire roof. That's going to be expensive! Do yourself a favor and buy a new vehicle without a sunroof.

Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
40 + years in the automotive business and I can assure you that sooner or later, your sunroof is going to be a problem. Probably after the warranty has expired. Today's cars have dual panoramic sunroofs that literally encompass the entire roof. That's going to be expensive! Do yourself a favor and buy a new vehicle without a sunroof.

The reality is that the sunroof is likely part of the package of things you really want. Not everyone wants a bare bones vehicle.

If a buyer is strictly anti sunroof then he or she will be very limited on what they can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back