Car not run for 9 months - Oil still good?

2019 Genesis G90 3.3T - twin turbo V6 GDI engine
Valvoline Synthetic Extended Protection 5w30

My car has been sitting at the shop for 9 months (electrical issue). 1800 miles on the oil when I dropped it off. During that time, the car has only run intermittently for a few minutes and very infrequently; it has been parked outside from late summer through mid-Winter.

Any issue with sticking to a 5k OCI? Any risk? For example, would moisture be an issue?

True. I am still curious about the risk though.
The risk is probably minimal considering Valvoline Extended Performance is an excellent oil and a nice drive would get rid of most moisture, but it isn't a risk that I personally would take.

If you want to be rigorous vs speculative, pull a sample and do a UOA to look for moisture and fuel.

Dubious any trace of moisture is there. Even if there was some, the oil is designed to disperse it, so not an issue.

I now run my cars 5k unlimited years due to the high oil prices. I have a fill in my 2000 crown vic that has 2600 miles on it from 2019. Still looks golden clear and no moisture. I do however use that car for long trips.

The oil I have in my S4 probably has less than 1k miles and has been in there for at least 4 years now, if not longer. If I were to guess, I would say probably less than 500 miles. My reason for not changing it is because I don't drive it at the moment. Once I get it re-registered and inspected I will probably change it. I do run it every 6 months and if I can I let it run for a while and even give it some gas to get the oil temps up around 200-225.

2019 Genesis G90 3.3T - twin turbo V6 GDI engine
Valvoline Synthetic Extended Protection 5w30

My car has been sitting at the shop for 9 months (electrical issue). 1800 miles on the oil when I dropped it off. During that time, the car has only run intermittently for a few minutes and very infrequently; it has been parked outside from late summer through mid-Winter.

Any issue with sticking to a 5k OCI? Any risk? For example, would moisture be an issue?
No problem. The Oil is stable and fortified to neutralise acid formation. There is always moisture getting into the oil. A good hour drive and the PCV system will steam any little bit of that off

No "cheap Insurance" here - just a waste if you change it.

Back