Car not being used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be going away for one month. During which period i will not have my car. Is it OK to let it sit for one month without running it? (i think not)

Or should i have my mom turn it on and run the engine after approx two weeks? (my mom can not drive a manual, and i've got very little clutch left
smirk2.gif
)

Or should i have someone else actually drive the car around the block?

All advice is welcomed. Thanks.

(I've got a 1991 honda civic DX 1.5 which burns oil.)

Sitting for a month won't do your car any harm. Starting and driving the car for a very short period may be more harmful to the engine.

Depending on the turnover rate at the dealership, it's not uncommon for a car to sit longer then a month without being started up.

I myself recently left on vacation and left behind three cars that wont be touched for about a month. I'm not worried about it, it's never been a problem for me in the past.

I'm sure other people will come on here and give you advice on what to do, but for me I've done it a bunch of times (one or two times a year for several years) with zero prep and never had an issue.

Now if it was going to be for a few months or more, or if you were going to be doing this regularly, then that might be different. But doing it once for a month, I don't see any issue with it and like I said I've never had a problem with not doing any prep when I would be away for about a month

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sitting for a month won't do your car any harm. Starting and driving the car for a very short period may be more harmful to the engine.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I would just disconnect one of the battery terminals to keep the minute draws of your vehicle from killing the battery.

Then when you get home, hook it back up and start it back up. All will be fine!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: addyguy
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I would just disconnect one of the battery terminals to keep the minute draws of your vehicle from killing the battery.

Then when you get home, hook it back up and start it back up. All will be fine!

+1

A month is no problem at all..Just give it a nice highway run when you get back.

No problem at all. If you're worried, add some MMO to the gas, drive the car for half an hour and shut it off. You could also disconnect the battery if you like as StevieC suggested. In all honesty, you don't have to do anything at all.

Wow!!! Thanks for all of the quick feedback!!!
34.gif

I got my battery from Poop Boys as a warranty exchange deal and it is [censored]. So yes i will disconnect the battery for the month. Why not.

Ummm. This is a great forum and all. And i'm truly grateful -- don't get me wrong.

But geez, it's a rather strict censor considering this is mostly guys talking about cars!

Originally Posted By: skate1968
Ummm. This is a great forum and all. And i'm truly grateful -- don't get me wrong.

But geez, it's a rather strict censor considering this is mostly guys talking about cars!

It's a great forum and a great bunch of guys! The censor software is a little tough, at one point the word God was censored. It is Helen's house, and her rules, so I respect them, but I do have a few threads with (censored) in them. Sorry!

[censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored][censored]

And that my friends is the meaning of life...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It's a great forum and a great bunch of guys! The censor software is a little tough, at one point the word God was censored. It is Helen's house, and her rules, so I respect them, but I do have a few threads with (censored) in them. Sorry!

I don't know Helen, but let me pay full respect to her. I belong to other forums also. And this one is excellent -- has taught me a good deal.

[i certainly didn't mean to complain, just taking note, that's all. I certainly don't mean to imply that the censor is a problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back