Car Loan Refinance Rates

Looking to refinance our auto loan. Anyone know of a deal that is better than the 1.49% on 36 months that Penfed is currently offering? Needs to be a national deal of available in lower NY/Northern NJ. TIA.

1.49% for 36 isn't that awesome. There is a local CU in the Chicago area doing 1.49% for 60 (and has been offering it for at least a year now).

99Saturn

Originally Posted By: dparm
1.49% for 36 isn't that awesome. There is a local CU in the Chicago area doing 1.49% for 60 (and has been offering it for at least a year now).
I agree, but I've yet to find a better rate locally after calling 10+ credit unions. That's why I'm asking. smile Edit - well actually I've found one that has a lower rate net 1% rebate upfront, but I apparently don't qualify for the rebate as it would be an internal refinance (current customer). Still that only puts the rate at 1.35% if carried the full 36 month term.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Looking to refinance our auto loan. Anyone know of a deal that is better than the 1.49% on 36 months that Penfed is currently offering? Needs to be a national deal of available in lower NY/Northern NJ. TIA.
Not aware of any other better deals, but along the lines of Penfed, they are a great C/U. I've refinanced with them twice in the past. Nice straightforward easy process. Their rates actually went up July 1 as they were doing 60 months @ 1.99 but now it's gone up a 1/4 percent to 2.24%. Not sure about the 36 month term. They could change again 8/1 up or down.

The rate is not better though just stretching out someone staying in bad debt.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The rate is not better though just stretching out someone staying in bad debt.
1.49% is lower than the current rate of inflation, and lower than most "safe" investments...therefore you'd be a fool not to take the longer term and let the monthly savings work FOR you.

99Saturn

Just wanted to add one if it helps anyone else that may be looking - SEFCU @ .99% for 24 months - if you're eligible to join (I didn't sort through the whole list).