car in front lost a wheel in heavy traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I was towing a car with knock-off wheels, backwards on a dolley. Didn't know the possible consequences with left hand threaded spinners at the time. Made it 30 miles before the wheel came off on an overpass. Felt some heavy shaking and saw the wheel rolling off to the left, then go over the railing. Pulled over and looked for the wheel, then, and a few days later. Never found it in the thick summer brush, and it was a pretty valuable, although unrestored Borrani wire wheel.

Watched the front left tire/wheel pop off my FILs Nissan Maxima years ago. He just had a tire shop he'd used many times put the snow tires on it days before. Right after this he noticed a rumble and insisted it what a wheel bearing. First thing I asked him was are the lug nuts tight? OF COURSE! he said. It was just at the tire shop!

I was following him after hours to the dealer to have the "wheel bearing" replaced when bye bye went the wheel and it stuffed itself up in the fender and did fender damage.

Had to run home to fetch my low floor jack and a proper lug wrench. Had to rob one nut off the other 3 wheels to make it somewhat whole since the nuts were nowhere to be found.

I still bring that one up to him from time to time.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Was driver a Russian or from one of those former USSR territories? Seems wheels coming off happens often in that part of the world. Sometimes it's even the entire axle with both duel wheel assemblies or a wheel with an axle. I don't think there is much vehicle maintenance carried on in the former Soviet block countries. From what I have seen on YouTube they don't have any driving skills at all. They really like making a you-turn from the far curb lane across several lanes of traffic.

Russian insurance laws make it cost effective to run a dash cam for the discounts. As a result a much higher percentage of drivers have dash cams over there. They also have some great Winter weather, too. As a result there's more dashcams per driver on the roads returning some fabulous youtube viewing.

I have no wheel falling off stories, other than an occasional "there goes the truck wheel" on the other side of the highway... despite using anti-seize on the lugs for all of my almost million miles of driving, and many dire warnings about how unsafe that is. Maybe it has something to do with using a torque wrench and common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back